General Nissan Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

No cabin heat, but engine temp OK

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 01:10 PM
Default No cabin heat, but engine temp OK

Why do I not have heat but engine is warm? I have checked thermostat, flushed rad and heater core. Is there a trick to getting rid of the air in the lines? I have a 2001 Sentra with a 1.8L
Any help will be apreciated.
Thanks

Old 01-30-2011, 08:11 PM

that's weird!it got warmed but no heat... its the law of the friction their should be heat how it got warmed???maybe they are not connected together that why it has different reaction.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:48 PM

i don't get to what you are talking about
is there something serious related with this?

Old 01-31-2011, 09:51 PM

Here's the answer. I got it from my website so blah i was lazy to type it again, so i just copied and paste it. And subscribe for my hard effort www.enginemisfire.com

Check #1 Is there enough coolant? Locate coolant reservoir. Coolant should be even with full marking on reservoir. If coolant is low, find out if there is a leak. Leaks can occur due to hoses harden, cracks, breaks, chafed, burned, oil soaked or swollen. Observe heater core hoses, radiator upper hose and lower radiator hose for possible problem.

Check #2 Heater core can rust and develop leaks allowing coolant to drip on the car’s floor. Locate heater core and observe area inside the passenger floorboard.
Check #3 Observe around the thermostat housing for possible leaks

Check #4 Observe leaks around radiator cap
Check #5 Observe around the water pump area by the vehicle’s timing belt. Are there signs of coolant leak and drips?

Check #6
Sign of Bad thermostat- Thermostat stuck open and Temperature gauge always low.
Thermostat function: A thermostat operation is to remain closed to allow coolant circulates around inside the engine block, cylinder head, and intake manifold until the engine is warm. A stuck open thermostat will not allow engine to reach operating temperature therefore resulting cooler coolant temperature.
Check #7 Heater control valve malfunction. Heater control valve should move when heater is turned on. Heater Control Valve can move manually by hand and is located by fire wall.
Check #8 Clogged heater core. There are two hoses running through the firewall. Check both hoses. If one hose is warm and the other hose is cold. It is a sign of a clogged heater core.

Heater core function: A heater core is a small, radiator-like unit that provides a large surface area for heat dissipation into passenger compartment. It is made of a series of tubes surrounded by finds. As air passes through the tubes and finds, heat is transferred by air.
Check #9 Blower motor malfunctions. Observe the blower motor connection. Is the connection secured?
Blower motor function: A motor that force air through the heater core.
Check #10 Observe exhaust tail pipe. Is your vehicle smoking white? A sign of white smoke is blown head gasket. A blown head gasket allows coolant in the chamber to burn.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:10 PM

thanks for the responce, I think i have tried just about everything including removing the waterpump only to find out that it is mint. I cannot get this thing to pump coolant, why not? Is it an air lock? If so what is the trick? I have tried with the front end in the air and the cap half on to release air. I drove it for 40min and still no cabin heat, the coolant lines going into the heater core are only warm. Someone must have seen this before, my car is a 2001 sentra 1.8L. Thanks

Old 02-17-2011, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by DiagnosticDDT
Here's the answer. I got it from my website so blah i was lazy to type it again, so i just copied and paste it. And subscribe for my hard effort www.enginemisfire.com

Check #1 Is there enough coolant? Locate coolant reservoir. Coolant should be even with full marking on reservoir. If coolant is low, find out if there is a leak. Leaks can occur due to hoses harden, cracks, breaks, chafed, burned, oil soaked or swollen. Observe heater core hoses, radiator upper hose and lower radiator hose for possible problem.

Check #2 Heater core can rust and develop leaks allowing coolant to drip on the car’s floor. Locate heater core and observe area inside the passenger floorboard.
Check #3 Observe around the thermostat housing for possible leaks

Check #4 Observe leaks around radiator cap
Check #5 Observe around the water pump area by the vehicle’s timing belt. Are there signs of coolant leak and drips?

Check #6
Sign of Bad thermostat- Thermostat stuck open and Temperature gauge always low.
Thermostat function: A thermostat operation is to remain closed to allow coolant circulates around inside the engine block, cylinder head, and intake manifold until the engine is warm. A stuck open thermostat will not allow engine to reach operating temperature therefore resulting cooler coolant temperature.
Check #7 Heater control valve malfunction. Heater control valve should move when heater is turned on. Heater Control Valve can move manually by hand and is located by fire wall.
Check #8 Clogged heater core. There are two hoses running through the firewall. Check both hoses. If one hose is warm and the other hose is cold. It is a sign of a clogged heater core.

Heater core function: A heater core is a small, radiator-like unit that provides a large surface area for heat dissipation into passenger compartment. It is made of a series of tubes surrounded by finds. As air passes through the tubes and finds, heat is transferred by air.
Check #9 Blower motor malfunctions. Observe the blower motor connection. Is the connection secured?
Blower motor function: A motor that force air through the heater core.
Check #10 Observe exhaust tail pipe. Is your vehicle smoking white? A sign of white smoke is blown head gasket. A blown head gasket allows coolant in the chamber to burn.
I salute you for your hard efforts
to the OP, i guess you have to replace the engine as soon as possible..there must be something hugely wrong with that.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:52 AM

If your fluid level is low, your engine will not circulate enough antifreeze to fill your heater core which usually leads to your engine overheating, but not always if you are just borderline low, if your heater core is plugged or if you have a sealed system and there is air in the system which prevents your liquid from running through the heater core. The most likely cause is a bad heater core which is bad news because it is hard to access, therefore hard to replace.

Last edited by kidashley25; 03-04-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:30 PM
Default sealed system

Not sure what you mean a sealed system? Saying that, when the rad cap is on and the engine is warmed up the coolant bubbles in the overflow. I have flushed the entire system and even blew compressed air through the heater core to see what was inside that shouldn't be and nothing came out.