General Nissan Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1988 300 ZX Digital Climate Control Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 11:10 PM
Default 1988 300 ZX Digital Climate Control Issues

Hello Everyone! I'm brand new to the forum, and this is my first post so please be gentle. I recently picked up a very clean '88 300ZX with the dreaded digital package. Would have preferred an analog car, but the price was to good to pass on. The car has several electrical issues though. #1 being the digital climate control is completely dead. No lights, no readouts, nothing. Iof course checked all of the normal things you would look at first, fuses, connectors, loose wires, but found nothing. I even went so far as buying another one on Ebay which the seller said had been tested to work before shipping, and when I installed it, the same thing as the original, NOTHING. Is there something I'm overlooking somewhere, is it fused somewhere else? Is there a power supply for the thing somewhere like the digital dash ( which by the way works fine ). I'm trying all options before taking it to a professional and spending major bucks.

The second issue, which I've learned is a common problem is the fuel guage is reading empty all the time. I understand the sending units are notorious for going bad on these cars.

The third is the tail lights didn't work. Learned there's a little thing called a tail light sensor which when bypassed solved the tail light problem although the system check light on dash now stays on all the time. At least I have tail lights for the time being though.

My main worry is the climate unit for now. Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks for your time