General Nissan Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 06:20 PM
Default need help

My 94 sentra a winter beater was sitting out all winter. I brought it in and tried starting battery was dead of course. So I let the car thaw out overnight and put the battery on a charger. I tried starting it but the battery didn't hold a charge so I switched it to the start mode. It would turn over but wouldn't start so I took a spark plug out and it smelled like gas but wasn't soaked so I knew it was getting fuel fine. I grounded the spark plug and tried starting it to see if it was getting spark, it wouldn't spark when it was being turned over but as soon as you let off the key it would spark. I then took of the coil wire to the distributer to see if it was the distributer. The coil did the same thing wouldn't spark while it was turning over but would as soon as u let off the key. So it is like if u push started it it would start because it would be getting spark when the key was in the running position, but it doesn't in the start position. I checked all ignition related fuses they were all fine. What could this be is the coil bad, or does it have to do with the battery. I am a Honda guy so I don't have experience with coils or nissans so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 01-23-2009, 02:21 AM
Default RE: need help

[hr]in this conditions always remember air,fuel,and spark. check your coil,wires,distr cap, and rotor..

[&:][8D][>:][X(]
hp?act=post&do=rehp?act=post&do=re
kurt E. daniel.
rum/forumdisplay.php?f=1/key_/

Old 01-23-2009, 07:44 PM

Are you stupid or did u just not read what I said. The coil should be getting spark the whole time u are trying to start it, but it isn't that has nothing to do with the distributer, rotar, wires of plugs. It's either somthing is f'd up with the coil, ignition, or the start mode on the battery charger isn't creating enough amps to create spark. I am pretty sure it's not getting enough amps. I can't believe u said check air and fuel you could have both and it wouldn't matter with no spark. U forgot one thing though compression. I was just wondering if anyone had this happen or knew somthing, but after that comment I've realized everyone in this forum is an idiot and knows nothing about cars.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:44 PM

First of all the guy was just trying to help so lighten up. If you bring it to a good shop a computer diagnosis will most likely at least isolate the problem to afew possibilities.