General Nissan Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Maxima trouble

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 12:43 PM
Default Maxima trouble

Hey folks, this is my first time posting here so please be forgiving :-). I'm in desperate need of some tech help if anyone can give me a hand.

I bought a 97 Maxima in March of this year with 200k miles. I drove it for a while but the clutch wore out and I needed to get it replaced. At the same time, I replaced the left front drive axle as that was worn out, as well.

After the work had been done, the car wouldn't start. All electrical connections were put back in place, and the engine would turn, but it wouldn't fire.

We removed the Crankshaft sensor and dusted it off. After putting it back in, the car started.

We shut off the engine after a few minutes and tried it again. No fire. Once again. No fire. We took the battery out and replaced it with a newer one. Tried that. It started up fine. We drove it out of the garage and up and down the driveway a few times. It drove perfectly, indicating the clutch was installed fine. After shutting off the engine, it wouldn't start again.

Long story short, on some occasions, the engine will fire, while on others, it will not. All of the times it started were not related to each other.

Looking at the trouble codes, we've found the following:

Mass Air Sensor malfunction or circuit fault
Crankshaft POS malfunction or circuit fault
Crankshaft REF malfuction or circuit fault

Any clues on what could be happening? We've also tried a timing light and one time it showed fire, but ever since then, there's been nothing happening.

If anyone can clue me in, it would be a GREAT help. Thanks a bunch.

Matt

Old 04-17-2009, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

had it been sitting a while? because they could have burned out

Old 04-17-2009, 01:03 PM

The guy I bought it from said he drove it every day up until I bought it. It sat for about 3 weeks before the clutch was fixed because I didn't have money. It's been 2 weeks since it's been "fixed" but hasn't gone anywhere.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

hmmm try this unplug your ecm and ty starting the car for 12 secons turn it off and plug it back in...your computer itself might be going either that of you need to replace all those things

Old 04-17-2009, 02:21 PM

Any tricks to getting the ol' bugger out? I've got big hands and can't seem to get a good grip on the connectors.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

with my 89 hardbody it has a few bolts around it chck for the bolts