General Nissan Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

nissan Serena 2.0 questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Default nissan Serena 2.0 questions...

Hello all!

I have a Nissan Serena 2.0 (petrol, manual).

The engine, whilst idling and whilst driving, rattles - sounds like the drive chain...should the drive chain make such a noise normally? Does it mean it needs replacing? Tightening? Is it an easy job to undertake myself? Is it an expensive job?

Otherwise, could anyone think of another reason for this noise? The engine pulls well enough, causes no problem when driving...Just would like to attend to the issue before it became a problem!!!

Thankyou so much for reading!

Old 12-17-2009, 02:49 PM

I am a newbie in this forum, so i would like to make a new member and contribute my ideas and improve my knowledge from the others.I was registered at your forum. I have printed the test message. Do not delete, please.Gee! this thread will attract many people to give more info

Old 01-14-2010, 12:18 PM

well it sounds like the engine is a little out of time. does it rattle when you accelerate or give it gas. if so then it is out of time. you will have to take it to a shop or a dealer. now this could be something inside the engine bay that is loos like a alternator bracket or a power steering bracket. there are many things to consider in a rattle inside the engine bay. i need a video of the rattle if possible. if not then you will just need to set and go over all the brackets. hope this helps...

Old 01-14-2010, 07:26 PM

looks like it a used car... did you both it on a dealer of a second hand cars?Maybe you need to change the engine.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:06 PM

Hi 04goat. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I shall endeavour to post a video for you here.

The engine 'rattles' when idling. It does seem to get faster with accelleration whilst driving, but not when giving it gas idling. It's less noticeable whilst driving though.

Yes, I need to thoroughly check the engine bay. But it sounds very much like the drive chain...

As I said, I'll post a video over the next couple of days.

Thanks again.

Full House; yes, it was bought second-hand! It's a 95 car. I don't think it's worth replacing the engine...would probably cost more than the car! But thanks for your suggestion anyway!