General Nissan Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How do I reattach hood that came loose?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Question How do I reattach hood that came loose?

Hi all!

I have a 2003 Frontier XE. The right hood mount must have came loose because when I opened the hood, the right mount arm came right out of the firewall hole.

Can someone here help me to understand how to gain access into the hole in the firewall so I can reattach my right hood mount?

Thanks,

XE

Old 01-03-2010, 06:40 PM

can I see some pix to see what really happened?

Old 01-14-2010, 12:12 PM

i'm not for sure but you might have to take off the fender to get to the bolts. and there is a top piece, you might have to take that off as well.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:35 AM
Default Nissan Dealership helped me to figure this one out!

Originally Posted by 04goat
i'm not for sure but you might have to take off the fender to get to the bolts. and there is a top piece, you might have to take that off as well.
Goat, thank you for your post. Ok, I called several Nissan Dealers. A friend of mine at one of the dealers emailed me a detailed diagram of the hood and mounts but it still wasn't clear how to reattach the hood.
The good news is that after calling more dealers, I found one man at the Sunnyvale, CA dealer/parts counter who knew exactly how to access the firewall so I could reattach the hood. His name is Billy.
For the benefit of future posters here at Nico, here are the instructions for reattaching the hood on a 2003 Frontier XE:
1. Remove the wiper assemblies [2].
2. Remove the radio antenna.
3. Gently pry off the rubber seal on the plastic cowling [there are snap pins that easily come off].
4. Gently pry off the plastic cowling [this is the part between your windshield and your hood, and it too has the snap pins to hold it in place].
5. Steps 1-4 now give you access to the attachment location within the firewall. In my case, the bolt had simply come loose and was lying there in the firewall bay. I simply reattached the bolt having my wife hold the hood in place and finally done deal!
I wanted to attached the diagram that Billy Morgan sent me from Nissan but I do not know how to do it.
Hope my post can help someone one day.
One warning: do NOT drive your vehicle if you hood is loose. On the freeway, the wind sheer/factor can easily rip it off your vehicle and your nice hood becomes a flying guillotine that can be absolutely deadly.
Nissan Forums rocks!
Thanks everyone for making this possible!

It's me,

Soar

Old 01-28-2010, 02:47 AM

You might want to call the dealer. They should tell you. They deal with that kind of thing on a day to day. If it is a big deal then I would take it to the dealer and let them fix it. Spend the money and get it done right. If they mess it up then its on them and they have to fix it. Spend the money dude and you won't have to worry about any more.