Nissan 300zx This coupe and convertible was very popular with performance car enthusiasts around the world, whether in the base model,or the high end Twin Turbo model.

Looking at buying a TT...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 02:56 PM
Default Looking at buying a TT...

Hey, everyone. My friend suggested I ask my questions to 300z guys.

I have to purchase a car ASAP since my car was stolen. I just went to see a 92 (I think) twin turbo 300zx. It seems nothing on this car is stock, though the guy that has it knows nothing about it. (I guess he repoed it.)

The car seems to run fine but has an exhaust leak he claims is from a bad turbo. He said the turbo seal is bad and it's leaking oil to the air and it's smoking into the cab. At idle, the left exhaust pipe is putting out a little smoke (which I expected if the story is true) but after driving it a few times around the blocks (maybe about 2 miles worth of driving) and nailing the gas a few times, I noticed a few things. At a stop, BOTH exhaust pipes are putting out a lot of brown smoke, and I don't think I saw any blue smoke. Also, it took a LONG time to spool the turbos, so I think that the turbos are a bigger than stock (though up until now, I've never driven a 300z.)

The guy said that his cousin got in and put the boost up way above 15psi and blew up the turbo.

He's asking 4500 for the car, and I know I can get him down even more. Is it worth it? As far as I can see, even though almost everything was upgraded (breaks, injectors, etc) I have no clue where to start since I'm all about American Muscle cars (my last car was a 02 Trans Am WS.6). But I'm tired of American Cars.

Got any ideas?