Nissan Forum Help & Suggestion Center Need help with NissanForum? Ask. Have a suggestion to better NF? Tell us here.

Emergency Brake...

Old 09-19-2013, 12:46 PM
Question Emergency Brake...

Hi,
I'm Joe. I bought an '07 Altima in Februrary and I love it. Recently, while parking, the lot attendant/security guard told me he heard my brake "pop" from "all the way over there". He said he and his wife just spent $800 fixing what he thought was a similar problem: His e-brake spring lost tension, so he had to replace a lot of parts because the brakes stayed tight and wrecked his discs or something.

My brake is loose, it takes several clicks to feel any resistance, but it seems to work, but now he has me afraid that if I continue to use it I will break something else... I leave it in gear when parking instead of using the e-brake, but isn't there a way to fix the e-brake?

I have seen other posts about taking the cupholder out and tightening a bolt... is this the same situtation? Do I need to just take it into the mechanic and pay a ton of money? I have tools and a brain, but no expertise or experience with this.