Nissan Maxima The flagship luxury sedan from Nissan, combining performance with all of the modern touches you woudl expect in a luxury car.

'98 stalls out

Old 12-28-2006, 08:23 PM
Default '98 stalls out

newbie here, am hoping someone can help. i love my car but i’m def NOT knowledgeable about repairs & i always worry about getting ripped off at the shop. (am on the lookout for a new
shop since the last one did just that with my subaru.)

‘98 maxima with 70,000 miles. when i start it, the rpm’s immediately go way down, it stutters, then stalls. this might happen 6 times in a row, might not happen for days. it seems to happen
more when it’s cold out than warm (it might happen multiple times on a cold day, but none at all on a warm one) or when the engine has cooled down & been sitting a long time, like
overnight or when i’ve been at work all day. so far, i’ve been able to get it to eventually start & stay running but am worried that it will eventually quit on me when i’ve got my baby with me.
can anyone give me ideas to approach a shop with?

thanks,
alli

Old 12-29-2006, 05:21 AM
Default RE: '98 stalls out

Rippin will happen... if the rippers are not afraid of gettin caught. Therefore politely demand beforehand all YOUR used spares back and tell them "that my friend at Ford wants to check them later"; lessens danger being charged on nothin.

Start practizing babysittin 24hr/day now: never leave your car(baby) in a shop -or- you might see it on a race track
Just sit by, even if you dont know whats happening. A true serviceman isnt bothered by smbdy watchin and tells what he is doing: fishy places tell customers outright that they are not allowed in. Just dont disturb his work; questions allowed ...you'll see what is swapped - if anythin, and pay only for actual spares/hours. Just dont leave your car unattended or overnight but only in extreme case.

Be on top: big companies are directed by bosses while being 'absolute zeros' on the products they make. Make shop call/ask before changing expensive parts. Good shops have premade forms which are filled and signed where these things stand written. Ask what happens, if they swap "500$ sparepart" and problems return... good shop will give warranty/ reinstall / refund part (not the work or troubleshootin hours).

Get first self diagnostics run (some say autozone does err code readin for free, try). Write down and compare suggested spare prices from internet shops. After the diagnostics, drive off [now this is the pressure/ripoff 'moment'!] ... As your car is still running, think whattodo and ask other shops how much this suggested repair would be, return later to this shop if price/service seems right. Ask ppl around for a local shop reference...

When you eventually find good service shop, keep one serviceman your contact, bribe him, make him to be the only one who takes care of your baby & next baby... I guess the true able ones in repair & troubleshootin can be found 'near race tracks'.

Note that intermittent problems are hard to find and therefore possibly costly.

Baby:
- You give no (service) history; have sparkplugs been changed, 60kmile service done adequately?
- Some Possibilities:
Connector contacts problem, dying MAF Mass AirFlow meter, Idle Adjust Ctrl valve IACV needs cleanup, Cherge voltage low =Bad alternator, Coilpacks dying
- connectors HowTo: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/14

Good Luck and Happy New Year

Old 12-30-2006, 02:05 PM

thanks for the advice - they're things that will probably save me some heartbreak in the future!

i've only have my maxima for a few months so was unsure of any service history on it. the dealer gave some info but not much. sparkplugs have not been changed since i've had it - it will be the first thing done & i will give the other things as possible prob areas to the mech i'll be going to. i think i have a good one lined up to look at it, so will try some of your tips & see how it goes. thanks a million!

Old 12-30-2006, 04:26 PM

Ask the dealer, he may know about the plugs. Plugs & shocks are to be replaced once in 60k; if plugs have been replaced it doesnt help to replace too early... Buying the plugs and/or whatever spares beforehand often saves money, the platinum plugs should be between 10-20$ for each cylinder (6x). I have seen some webshops sell even more cheaper - but no actual experience.

Most expensive thing for owner is to let a shop do everythin (=nothin) they want, and just pay. If possible, all service should be limited to a known issue...

I recommend u change the shocks if u decide to keep the car few yrs... The shocks keep tires from jumping which they do by default while driving: Good shocks greatly reduce braking distance and possibility for spin on wet surface. Car handling starts to feel like new. Ask also for axle boots checkup once a year or kneel uself: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/25.

Note: As I young lad, my steering disintegrated on highway after "pro service"... luckily survived. Then I decided that I can break my car allbymyself - and taxfree! Have ruined lots of equipment since then but now cando it quicker than most ... and have learned not to trust nobody me included.