Nissan Murano The sporty Murano offers a smooth ride and compact size for those who need the usefulness of an SUV, but not the size.

NEED HELP - Intermittent Blower Motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Default NEED HELP - Intermittent Blower Motor

A couple of days ago, I started having problems with what I will call the blower motor in my 2005 Nissan Murano. I typically leave the setting on Auto. In this setting (when it is cold out) the car has to warm up before the fan/blower motor will turn on. I noticed the blower motor not turning on a couple days ago when I needed to use the defrost setting.
I have noticed that the fan fails to turn on after the car has been sitting overnight or for more than a couple hours. I have also figured out that when the fan will not turn on that if I let the car warm up and then shut the car off and start it again, the fan/blower motor will work when the car is restarted.
I have checked the antifreeze level (in the overflow tank as you can't see the level in the radiator) thinking the antifreeze might be just low enough that the fan/blower motor won't kick on but the car won't overheat. The antifreeze level in the overflow tank is right at the MAX line so unless there is a problem in the line running from the overflow tank to the radiator and the radiator is low, then that is not the issue. I also would not think it would be a fuse problem as I have stated this is an intermittent problem. I also don't imagine the blower motor is bad as it works intermittently, though it could be going out I guess.
If anyone has any idea as to what the problem is, please let me know. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have 50,000 miles on the car so as you can guess, this is not covered under the powertrain warranty. I'd like to get some ideas of what I'm looking at before I take it to the shop. Thank you!