Nissan Sentra The Sentra has grown to be one of the most popular cars ni the sport compact market with its powerful 4 cylinder engine and spacious interior.

1997 Nissan Sentra GXE OIL leakage & Power lose

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 08:39 PM
Default 1997 Nissan Sentra GXE OIL leakage & Power lose

I loosing some power even though I changed my alternater& Battery, Spark plug & Spark plug cables, Rotor & Distributor Cap and even the a new starter and yet my car continues to losse some power when Im driving on the Highway or on a local road after awhile and even my dashboard light are getting dim once the vehicle come to a stop light or stop sign but, once I accelarate on the gas pedal the dash board light get bright... can anyone give me a good advice on what and how can I solve this matter...also oil is leaking into my air filter through my air duct and it is also leaking into my MAF... I have been told to change my PCV and I already changed it twice and yet the oil continues to leak into the air filter and the MAF, And when I try to start my car in the morninning it give me difficulty to start but, once I park it for awhile and try to start it up agian the same day it doesn't have any problem starting right up the only time it has problems starting is from one day to another and I also notice a odd smell like dog crap or vomit coming out of my air ducts once I turn on the heater to warm up the vehicle cabin...what can be causing my heater to expell that foul oder out of my air ducts help please....[sm=feedback.gif][]

Old 02-21-2006, 12:35 PM
Default RE: 1997 Nissan Sentra GXE OIL leakage & Power lose

Well a common problem on the our motor is that the front main seal goes. So, hence the leaks. I had a front main seal leak in my car too. I fixed that. About your power problem. Check all your grounds. Make sure that your battery for the ground is nice and tight. And sorry, I have no idea what the smell could be.

Inder

Old 07-06-2006, 03:41 AM
Default RE: 1997 Nissan Sentra GXE OIL leakage & Power lose

Hey there man, my 99Gxe Limited is doing the same thing as well.

Has your belts started doing the squeal thing yet? If not in time soon they will. I thought it was just because my car is almost to 160k that the motor was wearing thinner. I replaced my belt and the squealing did stop (however the new belts getting ate up a little again already)

We have bad clutches on the compressor is what the issue is at hand. My car has been to 4 local shops then to the Nissan/Infiniti guy that works on them independent in my hometown (all said the same thing)

When the clutch acts out it pulls all the power from the motor and the belts slip and if they don’t slip its not being able to spin the alternator fast to make it all work correct. At some point the compressor or clutches should start making weird sounds from time to time (mine sounds sorta like a cricket at times) its when it does the cricket sound that my dash and radio lights while sitting still does a disco show of flash low to high, once you step on the gas and it crawls above 1,00rpms its fine until it does it again and steals the power while driving (really bad on the open highway when it gets that bad also no more using cruise as it cant hold a speed on flat surfaces as it lags too much)

Oh yeah and you cant just buy the clutches for our compressors from all the searching I have done.

From all I have read your not as bad off as I am, as the 99 wont interchange with any of the other year besides maybe a few 98’s but the 95-97 and some 98’s will all work for you. Plus that the 97 compressors are cheaper than one for a 99 as well. Mine from a basic AutoZone is like 600.00, they have yours fewer than 300.00.

My car has the front main seal leak as well also, my rear main went before my front at around 125k the front went out around 155k and now its bad again of course it was more than 6 months ago and I went to a place I don’t go much so they wont fix it.

The rear main seal if it goes bad, is major costly, as you have to drop the motor to get at it. Mines going to leak till the cars in the junkyard. My car has over 150k and has a few dents and such and it’s a 2nd car just to keep miles off the G35 so were not even fixing the compressor (going to bypass it)

My car has done that funky smell since I got her in 2004. At times it goes away and comes back, sometimes it smells as if the car is baking a cake, and others it smells of wet sox or a gym locker. I have heard that its mold growing in the vents and to spray Lysol into the cowl by the hood while running the ac to help out ever so often.

Oh yeah on the oil in the duct area I am still forgetting to ask when I go in for service every time, need to write it on a sticky note for next time and attach to my car mirror

Good luck I really hope its not your ac compressor as well as it really bites.