Nissan Sentra The Sentra has grown to be one of the most popular cars ni the sport compact market with its powerful 4 cylinder engine and spacious interior.

Belt noise - chirping maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 03:52 PM
Default Belt noise - chirping maybe?

I will try to keep this short

Right now when I start my vehicle. Cold or otherwise. There is a noise I will classify in the chirping category, although I am not sure that is accurate. It's not a belt squeal but seems to be longer in duration than what I am picturing as a chirp and it does not seem to change much as the car accelerates versus idle.
Also I am in Hawaii so I cannot attribute this to the cold except that the mornings are becoming a little chilly with the humidity a dew everywhere, but again it happens throughout the day when I start my car.

Once started it seems to do it until I get up to and maintain a constant speed of 40-45 mph or higher. 5-10 minutes of stop and go traffic does not eliminate the problem as a normal loose belt and such.

Here is the history since I bought the car 6 months ago

2002 GXE 110k miles

@108k miles took in for a service and inspection. Standard oil/filter. I was told it needed new drive belts, so I had them replaced. After they replaced I was told they couldn't tighten them enough to stop the squealing because the idler pulley needed to be replaced and that would be almost $600 and they did not have the part and would have to order it.

I drove it for 1 week, bought the pulley and replaced it myself for $35 and 45 minutes of my time.

Problem fixed

@ 109,500 miles an increased clicking noise that started shortly after I replaced the pulley, which I thought was a lifter tick, changed to a horrible squeal. Discovered that the harmonic balancer had separated and needed to be replace. Ok got that fixed and replaced the crank seal while there.

And now I have this new chirping/squeal noise that doesn't quite seem to fit in any of the categories of worn belts, squealing, or normal chirping, pulley misalignment.

Any suggestions on where to start?

Sorry didn't keep this very short.