Nissan Xterra The Xterra offers a more compact alternative to the Pathfinder, without compromising interior size, and with the optional supercharged engine, it is not all bark and no bite.

08 Xterra Battery Drain

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 10:03 PM
Default 08 Xterra Battery Drain

My wife has a 2008 Xterra that is having some battery issues and am hoping that someone out there has seen similar issues and can provide some advice.

issues:
- Dealership reported battery was bad 11/2016 after I informed them that car was having trouble starting (taking 2 or more tries & needing help - pumping gas pedal to get it to start - wouldn't start without that)
Battery died about 2 weeks later, replaced battery 12/1/16. Battery was only 4.5 years old (rated for 7 years).
-New battery died 2 weeks later
- Dealership unable to find source of battery drain. Got 2nd opinion at another clinic, they tested for several days, thought they identified issue as body control module. After disconnecting fuses & cleaning them, they could not reproduce the draw. It started fine for 2 days, then the issues resurfaced. It takes 2 tries to get the car started on most occasions whether it has been sitting for 3-5 min or 12 hours or sometime in between. I cannot get it started without helping it - battery not powering fuel pump among other things to get it started.
-Of note, body control module system has never been right since I bought the car in Aug 2008. VCD/slip light would come on intermittently. Dealership unable to resolve this.
-Car also appears to accelerate sluggishly at times, but not always.
-Dealership also stated that drive belt is cracked. Car has been making a grinding sort of sound - kind of like sand going through the engine. This has only happened while accelerating uphill at higher altitudes.

Car info:
2008 Nissan Xterra off-road package
78K miles
battery just changed
spark plugs still original
after market radio (because one shop thought the stock radio could cause battery drain)