Nissan Forum - Nissan Enthusiast Forums

Nissan Forum - Nissan Enthusiast Forums (https://nissanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Nissan Tech (https://nissanforum.com/forum/general-nissan-tech-9/)
-   -   Burning rubber smell on Altima (https://nissanforum.com/forum/general-nissan-tech-9/burning-rubber-smell-altima-6570/)

61snowrider 05-20-2010 08:28 AM

Burning rubber smell on Altima

Tech: I have a problelm with my 2006 Altima that no one can figure out.
When I have the moonroof open I smell something hot or rubber like burning, only when i go UP a hill, fairly long hill. I took it to dealership and they said my caliper was sticking. I had it greased at another shop, after that had new rotors and pads put on. Still have the smell. Called dealership again and they said to not use Sheetz (brand ) gas. To use Sunoco or BP. So I did and still have the smell. I believe it to be in my exhaust smell. Car has 61000 miles on it. Dealership wants a diagonistic charge of $69.00 to look at it. Again i Don't have faith or trust in them because there are no service,trouble lights on. So the computer would show nothing and I would still have to pay. I asked them that and if they found nothin wrong i would still pay!! How can i prove that it is my catalytic converter going bad? Do you have any other suggestions on what is wrong? Thank You

michel.brown 05-25-2010 05:56 AM

Try buying the stp fuel cleangig thing that pooror in the gas tank try buying from auto zone or something in the engine istouchingg the weels and making it burn rubber and u are forcing it make bur rubber by seeding up and making u spend more money on gas and sooner or later ur going to pop a tier.

chassis221 05-25-2010 06:50 PM

does it happen just at idle without driving? Ive seen this happen before...car out of alignment and was wearing out the right front tire really badly he actually hit a curb and he was smelling the tire burning up as he was going down the road. Im sure this isnt your case but just throwing that out there.

maybe you have some hoses under the hood burning up or touching something hot. or a pulley thats going bad and maybe burning up your engine belt. or something stuck onto your exhaust pipe burning up.

sara.mike40 06-13-2010 06:14 AM

Check to see if your wheel bearings are in good shape.
I recently had the dealer replace one of the wheel bearings due to the fact I smelled a faint rubber/burning smell and looked into it further. The way to check is after you drive the car a few miles stop and feel the wheels and smell inside the wheel wells. If the wheel itself is abnormally warm and you smell a burning odor 9 times out of 10 is a bad wheel bearing that needs replacing.

61snowrider 06-14-2010 02:20 PM

If it was a wheel bearing, wouldn't I be able to smell it all the time?

autodealer 09-04-2010 04:10 AM

That maybe the clutch or the brake touching the inner walls, replace those broken Nissan Altima Parts