Nissan Altima This mid sized entry is been among the leaders in its class thanks to its powerful engine and roomy interior.

2005 Altima pre-cat

Old 12-14-2007, 04:03 PM
Default 2005 Altima pre-cat

I bought a 2005 Pathfinder this time last year, and loved it so much, I recently purchased an Altima. Now I am sitting here, filled with dread, reading all these horror stories of the 02-03 Altimas crapping the pre-cat into the engine, and dropping throttle plate screws as well.
Burnout, did the pre-cat get a better design, prior to 05? If not, since I am at 84K, I know I will have to purchase a new pre-cat. what is the approximate cost to have one replaced?

Brad Fornal

Old 12-16-2007, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2005 Altima pre-cat

Im guessing your warranty ran out?

Old 12-17-2007, 06:50 AM

This is a former fleet car, with 86K on it. It runs fine, but if the cat is about to crap sand down into the engine, because Nissan is not willing to correct a KNOWN problem, I would like to know, so that I can put another part in BEFORE it takes a crap.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

Nope, they have the same problem. Have you checked the recalls currently available on the car ? Lot's of people neglect to get the recall work done and there is a few on that car.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:21 AM

Burnout, I just contacted Thornhill Nissan in Fort Worth, to ask them about the problem. Both the Service Dept, and Parts Dept are both playing ignorant of this issue. I can't tell if they are truly stupid, or wanting to sell an engine.
Would you be so kind as to tell me the name, and part # of this failing item. I have a 2005 Altima, with the 2.5.
I HAVE asked about other recalls, and I have to take it in Thursday for the ECM to be reprogramed. While it is there, I would love to have the failing part replaced as well. I know that Nissan will not cover it, but I DO NOT want to buy another engine, because they refuse to answer my questions.
Also, is this failing part on the 2005 Pathfinder 4.0?

Thank you Burnout.

Brad

Old 12-17-2007, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Nah ... it really depends on what you're referring to though. If you are just talking about the cat problem, the failure lies in the cat itself. 14002-9J310 .... The 04+ did not have as many issues as the 02-03.... so it's prob. not worth the nearly $500 to replace it. Most of the issues by 05 were corrected.... the ecm reprogram is important.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:01 PM

Please, pardon my ignorance, as I am not well versed on the newer cars. The newest thing I am currently working on, is a 68 Austin Healey Sprite. No Cats on it!!!
From what I know of cars and cats (catalytic, not the 4 legged wheel chocks) the cat is downstream of the engine exhaust. HOW does the cat failing on the Altima, get particulates into the engine?
Since the factory cat is $500, and my warranty is invalid; due to milage, would I be better off to purchase an aftermarket cat? If nothing else, to at least remove the risk of engine damage, but still maintain emmissions integrity?

Old 12-19-2007, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

I'm guessing when you start the vehicle, as that is the only time the exhaust sucks in to my knowledge.... the other engine failure was due to the butterfly screws on the throttle body butteryfly valve falling off. Your aftermarket cat idea is not really a possibility to my knowledge.... this cat comes as part of the manifold.... unless you can get a muffler shop to weld it or something.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:00 AM

I guess that explains the $500 price on the cat. I know performance parts are made for many cars, I am doubtful that any headers, or some such, are made for the Altima. I may just have to ask around. If I am going to spend that kind of money, I want to spend it on a quality product, not another Nissan part, just biding it's time to "F" up.
My lil' 310 took me almost 200K, before I let it go, I'd like to get somewhere close with this one. But if Nissan is up to what I think it is, I won't come anywhere close.

Old 12-21-2007, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

The 2.5 altimas have def. had some realiability issues, but most are an easy fix. http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?i...p;model=ALTIMA

^^^ For 2.5 headers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 Altima pre-cat