General Nissan Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

What cause the battery light came on stayed on

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 12:41 AM
Default What cause the battery light came on stayed on

View more
Auto tools

The battery light comes on when there is a problem in the battery charging system.
Assuming that when you say the battery light comes on, you do mean that it comes on and stays on while the car is running. I only say this because most, if not all cars flash the battery light when you start the car. But then the light goes out once the car is running, and that is normal. If there is is a problem,the light would remain on, indicating such problem.

Although your car may be starting and running now, it may not be in the near future. You need to check out a few things to get to the bottom of it so you can fix the problem before it REALLY becomes a problem.

The vehicles I've owned seem to time their mechanical failures and breakdowns at the absolute worst time possible. It's like they have some sort of warped sense of humor and get a kick out of watching me squirm.

The battery light in your dashboard comes on when there is a problem in the battery's charging system. The alternator is what makes that light come on.

I would make sure your fan belt is still on your vehicle. If it's not there, your alternator isn't charging your battery at all.

If the belt is there, it could be slipping which would cause the alternator to not be charging properly. If you check the alternator with a digital voltage meter with the car running, it must read 13.6 volts or higher (up to 14.2 volts) for the alternator to be charging properly.

If the voltage meter says anything under 13.6 volts, say 13 volts, then there is still a problem even though it is still charging,it's not charging properly.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:56 PM

hope it can help u and good luck

Old 02-26-2013, 01:45 AM
Old 09-14-2014, 07:20 AM

I know this is a new answer to an old post but maybe it'll help someone else experiencing this problem. If the alternator is keeping the battery charged but the light remains on while engine is running (or varies intensity with rpm's), chances are good your alternator is on it's death bed due to a diode built into the alternator not functioning. With all other possibilities ruled out (belt, etc) there are 4 plans of action here. Find the diodes online and replace them yourself (requires disassembly of alternator, sometimes requiring special tools...most brick and mortar parts houses won't carry too many internal alternator parts), take the alternator to a starter/alternator shop for a rebuild, take to a repair shop to have the alternator replaced or just buy one over the counter at your local parts house and replace it yourself. I know on every Nissan I've encountered with a bad alternator it causes multiple, non-related warning lights to come on. I hope this helps.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:41 AM

Thanks for sharing valuable info, was wondering if I could figure it out myself but changed my mind eventually after going through above info !