Nissan Altima This mid sized entry is been among the leaders in its class thanks to its powerful engine and roomy interior.

blown motor/catalytic converter 2002 altima 2.5

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 06:30 PM
Default blown motor/catalytic converter 2002 altima 2.5

i have a 2002 2.5 altima 5 speed , i bought it used, since then , nothing but problems , rotors wear quick (warped) no antilock
recalls up the but , replaced motor last year because the catalyct converter broke into pieces that sucked up into motor causing major engine damage ,now my car is at the dealership again , because i failed inspection , they said it was my massair sensor , but i could tell my car was misfiring. i think the same problem is happening , i would like to know if anyone with a 02 altima has had similiar problems , tired of getting jerked around.

Old 10-26-2006, 12:17 AM
Default RE: blown motor/catalytic converter 2002 altima 2.5

how the hell did your catalitic converter get sucked into the motor throw the exhaust ...... if a shop told you this then id sugest getting a new shop i dont see it as even possible with your car running the flow of gasses out wouldnt allow the peices to go back up the pipe

Old 10-26-2006, 03:10 PM

DUDE HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF BACK PRESSURE . USUALLY YOU GET THAT WITH A 5 SPEED TRANS AND IT'S EVEN A RECALL PROBLEM , SO ANY MECHANIC WOULD KNOW

Old 11-02-2006, 12:54 PM

SAME HERE BRO, '02 ALTIMA, 5 SPEED, BAD MOTOR DUE TO CAT. CONV. COMING APART. STARTED STUMBLING JUST BEFORE 80K
AND LET GO AT 82K. I HAD A LOCAL SHOP LOOK AT IT FIRST AND THEY SAID HEAD GASKET, PAID THEM OVER $900 FOR THAT THEN 2 WEEKS LATER MOTOR KEPT STUMBLING AND SHUTTING OFF. I THEN TOOK TO NISSAN DEALER TO FIND OUT WHAT THEY HEY, FOUND OUT BAD NEWS, FIGHTING WITH NISSAN NOW TO REPAIR THEIR DESIGN FLAW. !!! GOOD LUCK TO ALL.

Old 11-24-2006, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

It is not an uncommon problem at all.... our dealership averages prob. 1 or 2 engine jobs a week. Another cause of the problem is the screws on the butterfly valve for the throttle body coming off and going into the motor.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:44 AM

Hi all. I was just informed by my local Nissan dealership that my 2002 Altima has a bad catalytic converter and metal fragments from it have damaged my engine. They were nice enough to say that I could try only replacing the cat for around $950.00 and "hope" that my engine makes it a while longer. I have been searching for answers and came across this forum. Hoping someone has some insight on how to fight Nissan for this apparently known issue? I have 97,000 on my car right now and just made the last pymt 2 weeks ago (go figure). Any advice anyone can give me? Thanks in advance!

Old 04-25-2007, 12:16 PM

I dont know what to tell ya man, heard this story from alotta people with Spec-Vs/2.5 Altimas. Thats what happens with those QR25 motors, lotta problems with that thing

Old 05-01-2007, 10:35 AM

Just thought I would let some others know what I found of this issue. I took my car to another repair shop and had the catalytic converter replaced, including Oxygen sensor (still cost around $900 for everything), but as for needing a whole new engine like Nissan told me....there was no need at all apparently. The o2 sensor was really the trick, it was causing most of the symptoms that I was experiencing. Compression tests done on the car came back great (155 in all cylinders they said) and the car is running perfect again. A tip for anyone out there with these symptoms - get a 2nd opinion (and not from a Nissan dealer!).

Old 09-01-2007, 09:13 AM

Unfortunately after replacing the Cat and sensors I have started having more issues with my 02 Altima. Now it's a blown head gasket and $1,300 to replace. While I was looking for information about the blown head gasket I found a very interesting website - thenissanfight.com Anyone that is having these problems should definetly check it out.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:04 AM

haha im having the same problems.....ive replaced both 02 sensors, cam pos sensor, crank pos sen, spark plugs, got rid of the precat even though the inner is still intact and went with a header from obx. the engine is still stumbling and i got the ses light flashing at me.....no oil in the radiator, and the spark plug tubes are clear of all fluid. the only leak i can see is by the timing cover on the right side. so i dunno if its the head gasket or an intake manifold gasket. anyone got anyone idea?

Quick Reply: blown motor/catalytic converter 2002 altima 2.5