Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Component Speakers: Location of tweeter question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 11:09 PM
Default Component Speakers: Location of tweeter question...

Greetings,

First, I'm installing in a '06 Frontier Crew Cab.

Ok, I have a pair of Infinity Kappa 50.7 Component speakers that I purchased for the front doors and 60.7's for the rears.

I haven't taken the rear door panels off, but as I've read, the factory rear speakers are 6 1/2" rounds. I think the mid-woofers from the 60.7's will fit in the factory mounts, and hope that there's room to mount the tweeters nearby, inside the doors, behind the grill.

The real question is regarding the front doors. The mid-woofers in the 50.7's are 5 1/4" rounds and I think if I get this 6x9 speaker bracket from Crutchfield, I'll be in good shape.

But I see this bracket has a spot to mount the tweeter too. I've read that it's important, in component systems, to keep the mid-woofer and tweeter as close together as possible (within 12 inches). I've also read that for proper staging, it's better to mount the tweeter up high. But if I mount the tweeters in the factory dash locations, they're almost 2 ft from the mid-woofers in the doors.

In your experience, which is the better way to go? 1. Mount the tweeters in the doors with the mid-woofers so they work as a single source, or 2. Mount the tweeters high in the dash to take advantage of the directional effects?

And... if the recommedation is to mount the tweeters in the dash, I would have enough room in the front doors to mount the 6 1/2's. Would I be better off to swap my speakers and mount the 6 1/2's in the front (with tweeters in the dash) and the 5 1/4's in the rear (with tweeters nearby, also in the door)?

Finally... if this helps... I have an Infinity Reference 5761 amp connected to my crossovers and also to a JBL 1002D subwoofer.

Thanks for any advice you can give. I really appreciate it.

-Meta