General Nissan Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brake Lights staying on

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 12:17 AM
Default Brake Lights staying on

working on a lady-friend's car (1991 nissan stanza) and the brake lights stay on. there are 2 switches off the brake pedal and fortunately i did take the correct one off. it is a good switch. i even plugged it into the car and pressed the switch and the brake lights went off.
did an internet search and found that it is common with these models that a grommet that is on the pedal will deteriorate.
i screwed the nut on the threaded part all the way down but the lights still stayed on.

i have found it very difficult to work under the dash (as almost all cars are) and would like to hear if someone has done that job (the part is 3 dollars at the dealer). i dont see how i am going to get into there.
Is there a workaround?? another switch that is longer??
i could take a round piece of metal and drill 4 holes into it and secure it into there with tie wraps (i guess ??)
thanxs in advance for any response??

Old 06-28-2010, 10:39 PM

very few into this (??).
took the front left tire off and opened the bleeder screw.
cut a small board and wedged it on the right side of the pedal - from the pedal to the underside of the dash
worked under the dash with my body closest to the left side kick panel.
used a 1/4 bolt and nut - put that into the hole. while using wrenches to tighten, the other plastic button (that better describes them) fell off; got a 1/4 inch bolt for that one - put a lock washer on this one. i did not take the other switch out - so hopefully it is working ok (dont know - i think it is for the cruise control).
sized up the setting for the brake light switch and set that into place.
this has been one of THE toughest jobs i have ever done.