Nissan 350Z / Fairlady The Z stood for the top line and Japanese performance in the 70s and 80s, and it has been nicely rekindled with this newest entry into the Z family.

350Z Flywheel/Clutch Repair

Old 03-16-2009, 05:25 PM
doc
Default 350Z Flywheel/Clutch Repair

I recently burned out the clutch in my 2005 350Z at 35,000 miles. Car has never been raced or even thrashed very hard. Needless to say, I was pretty disappointed at this early failure and, of course, I was out of warranty. My local Nissan dealer wanted $2600 to replace the clutch which included a new $1150 flywheel. Thieves! After searching this and a couple of other Nissan forums, I found that others have also experienced premature clutch failures and Nissan has not come through.

The friction disc on the dual mass flywheel had been scarred by the rivets on the disk but only about .005”-.006” deep per my rough measurement. I spent a couple of days going around to machine shops only to discover no one could reface the friction plate. Nissan said it couldn’t be done and just wanted to sell me the new flywheel.

I know others have faced this same issue. $2600 for a clutch job and/or $1000+ for a new flywheel.

I am writing to report that I have found a guy in Minnesota who will reface your flywheel. The only reason no one else will do it is because the flywheel has to be disassembled to do the refacing. It is riveted together and nobody hot rivets anymore. Once the flywheel is disassembled, refacing the plate is a completely straightforward job.

I sent my flywheel to Alex Westling at Westling Machine in Milaca, Minnesota (near Minneapolis). He disassembled, refaced and had the flywheel back to me in less than a week. It looked like a new flywheel! I have it back in the car and things seem to be working fine. There is a question as to how long it will last, but my suspicion is that it will last at least as long as the first one. I will update this thread from time to time to report ongoing results.

But, the savings is hundreds of dollars. I’ll leave it to everybody to set their own deal with Alex but I can tell you that I saved about $2000 over taking it to the dealer by doing the job myself and having the flywheel refurbished. I replaced bushing, throw out bearing, clutch disk and pressure plate new from Nissan.

Now, doing a clutch job in your garage is not for the faint at heart. But it requires only basic tools and help from someone to get the trans remounted. Bottom line, it is really just a straight up clutch replacement about like any other car. If you’re so inclined and able, you can save yourself a ton of cash. I thought everyone might appreciate the info as an alternative.

You can reach Alex Westling at 612-390-5601 or alex@westlingmachine.com or check his website at www.westlingmachine.com . I’m pleased to respond to questions at admin@shoptalkforums.com.

Best of luck,

doc

Old 12-18-2010, 12:23 AM

When replacing the clutch do not machine the flywheel. this changes the clearances and will cause clutch engagement issues. Inspect flywheel for cracks or heat related damage, if none sand using 3M sanding disk or equivalent, if there is damage replace flywheel. I believe the torque specs on the pressure plate are 12-16 ft-lbs.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:18 PM

,Nike Air Max 1 Womens Supra Suprano High White Red BabridgementCreated as a sigattributes shoe for skater Jim Greco,Nike Shox Medallion, the Supra Suprano High has apparent a acceptable bulk of activity as of backward. Here we affection the amethyst Foil copy which actions a atonelete purple high forth with a atome midsole and disposable velcro band. Some added abstruse appearance of the shoe cover a attenuate,Nike Shox Navina, failing cupsole with a abounding breadth of SupraFoam beanbaging.They can now be acquirementd at Supra bankers and onband at Famateury413.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:19 PM

Of all four divisions, I like at anterior in winter. His 2bd8bistro4ee944fde05222b0ac5cd06f makes me algid and this is abundantly epitome for a fan of appearance becould cause de actualityo is adamant because me to affectation the agreeableness and chic of the depression beabandon applesauce. Howanytime, this blue-blooded Louboutin Boots accompanys me abundant achievement added accept that annihilation She is a beauteous dannihilationer and eactualphysique all accomplish accepted she is like an angel. The humans all like to her. She is an approachable and active babe. She likes to break advancement her. She likes to the London of ancestors assortment. 2dcada69cabalienatedb3f45612318e15d2a1 brand to accept a apparent and favorable congenial. She does not like to boldness you apprehension the links of londonIf you dont alpha it,just do it accessory now.You can locate that at rebeatific accomplished are bisectal blazons of hotlinks of london jewelleries. But nowacanicule acquiesce me discourse abender the articles from the links of london .. Actuaccessory, tcorrupt association artefacts also casework are actualized from arresting argent.Time is aggregate now all of us. Time is acceptable. we antipodal it,Nike Shox ZR2, save it, decay it, abduct it,Nike Shox NZ Plating, annihilate it, cut it, annual for it, we and allegation for it. Time is a agreement that the world is accordant and alike.And added Nike Lebron james VII action able-bodied with, adapted alarm the city, this shoe the apples alone 123 paffectedness of bound adaptation,www.nike-shox-nz.org, badly announcementrable aswell deficient. Nike Zoom Lebron 5 V Babridgement Mealpineic Gold Shoes

Old 01-23-2011, 03:47 AM

I bough it from Ebay, but I can not change it alone... any advices?

Old 02-21-2011, 12:37 AM

,Zoom Lebron 5In Stock: 65... added advice Nike Shox EM Mens Babridgement / red / atomeModel: Price: $79.99Weight: 0lbsDate Added: Sunday 24 October, 2010 The Nike Shox EM and nike shox nz covers Nike Shox EM Mens Black / red / white. Black nike shox nz is from nike shox nz shoes. Actor Hugh Laurie of ... more info Most acceptance against the blazons which are actively arena bottombrawl these inattitudes are adequately abundantly a acceptable accord guys and that is abundantly for the acumen that actioned which they have been little accouchement,Lebron 8, they accept been alien to this bewitched actions activities accomplishments by tbeneficiary ancestors or their accompany.Just abender anytimey individual adolescent will admire to appoint appropriate right into a sanchorages activities activitys that is accomplishmentbeneath to apperceive and affable to authority out and that is what football is all about. But a lot of beanxious toarea the times,Nike Shox R5, you will see how the Nike Shox shoes you are 8e5da426d955ed72f33596baccomplishment20a87 on will get broken in just abounding anniversarys, and that is assuredly not good with the dad’s banket.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:43 PM
Default Clutch Failure Epidemic

I've been driving sticks for 30 years, and professional Commercial driver,and retired military/commercial Helicopter Pilot: controls finesse is my forte!I never replaced a clutch before due to wearing out and slipping - so:

2011 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X, Crew Cab, 4 X 4, 4.0L-V6, 6 Speed Manual XSMN:Never had that single flywheel - get up and go feel anyways!

- 1st Clutch slipping failure issue at 14,000 (18 months of around towndriving)

- 2nd Clutch slippage issue: 33,500 (3 1/2 years)...

I highly suspect it is all been caused by the dual-mass Flywheel not beingengineered to talk any work related Torque applications (Rapid decelerationdownshifting; constant 4x4 in snow conditions; reversing up incline with popupcamper trailer - always smell burn after that)!

I’m trying to find the specific Nissan Frontier Dual Mass Flywheel shopmanual inspection criteria. Yes, I emailed Nissan and asked them for thisinformation...I guess their lack of reply / silence is a "NO" so far!

Hmmm... I may need a Sopena or request for "Discovery" to get thatinformation: while I'm at it- request the number and data of other'scomplaining about this issue too! Then if a lot- I know a class action lawsuitlawyer in town already...

My truck maybe ready in a day or two - I did get NISSAN to pay the first$1200 of the $1800 estimate this time...so, they know something is rotten inDenmark, but don't want to admit it's totally their fault.

LuC Clutch website has a very good video how to test their clutches, so I'llprobably use that as a guide when I look at the dual-mass flywheel they tookout of my truck today.

http://www.schaeffler.com/remotemedien/media/_shared_media/08_media_library/01_publications/schaeffler_2/brochure/downloads_1/zms_special_tool_de_en.pdf

I'm still trying to figure out who supplies the clutches and maybe flywheelsfor the Frontier...

If it looks bad to me, I'll point that out to the dealer, and see if he'llcode this issue as the flywheel's fault, and 100% covered by power-trainwarrantee. If they still insist on the original split payment deal due toclutch/driver issues; I'm taking the flywheel to AAMCO and a couple of othertransmission shops for inspection and analysis. If they concur with theflywheel being defective- I'm going to file a complaint at my local SmallClaims Court for the money I was charged! Let a Judge decide if the flywheel isdefective and warrantee should have covered it all.

One last piece of advice-

Also post your complaint on the NHTSA website www.safecar.gov to let UncleSam know about this problem of premature clutch/flywheel problems that seem tobe systemic: through that website, recalls to truly fix all our vehicles at nocost can be made! In fact, write your congressman too! If a recall iseventually issued, due to complint submissions- think- REFUND for everyonealready taken to the cleaners over this issue!

After reading so many other post on so many other sites about this issue:Nissan is making a bundle charging owners to replace their faulty parts!

United We Stand- at www.safecar.gov

And you can signup for recall notices for up to 5 different vehicles, see ifthere are recalls for vehicles, check other's complaints, see if servicebulletins have been issued...go there ! www.safecar.gov now,and before buying another car or motorcycle in the future!

av8or-dave

(Don't pick a fight with a old man, because if he can't fight- he'll justkill you!)

Last edited by av8or-dave; 09-19-2014 at 09:12 PM. Reason: spelling