Nissan Altima This mid sized entry is been among the leaders in its class thanks to its powerful engine and roomy interior.

blowing white smoke (94 model)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 12:56 AM
Default blowing white smoke (94 model)

Long story short (maybe not so short). #3 cylinder had an oil fouled plug, but good compression so I replaced the valve stem seals without pulling the head. Car still ran rough, but ran so I didn't do anything else (because I didn't want to work on car after replacing the seals). Ran it for about 6 mos then decided to take a look at it. Pulled the #3 wire and no change, pull any other wire and car wanted to die. OK #3 is still trouble.

Checked plugs are clean, in fact the plug in #3 looked like it hardly ever fired. Verified spark, rechecked compression and it was good. That leaves no fuel and/or O2. Checked #3 fuel injector resistance, it read 52 as opposed to 10-14 ohms. So I replaced it today.

That's when the white smoke started. It has a strong fuel smell. Tried backing out and car stalled when I shifted out of R into N, hard to restart but it restarted. One other tidbit it that the check light came on a few days ago (and went off later that day and never came back on)before I changed the injector. I checked the code and it's EGR Valve Sensor.

Could a malfunctioning EGR somehow be the culprit, or is it likely something else.
bhlass@verizon.net