Nissan Altima This mid sized entry is been among the leaders in its class thanks to its powerful engine and roomy interior.

Headlights will not stay on

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Default Headlights will not stay on

I'm having an issue with my headlights, among other things. Here's what is going on:
*Headlights will not stay on. when I turn the headlight switch, nothing happens. I have to pull the lever toward me and hold it in order for the lights to come/stay on.
*When I turn off the car, the dinger for keys left in ignition/headlights on dings...even though neither of these is true.
*Running/tail lights stay on
I have to pull the tail lights fuse to make the two above things stop.
So any idea as to what may be wrong? Thanks in advance for any help!

1997 Nissan Altima

Last edited by Beth; 07-10-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:46 AM

I think the problem is in your high beam switch. there is a short in it and it needs to be replaced. Or maybe the replacement headlights.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:21 PM

Is it new? maybe you need to replace it... I have similar problem couple of years ago!I just replace it and sold the old one for a cheaper price.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:28 PM

yep it sounds like the head light switch has gone out. now for the brakes you will have to get underneath the drivers side under the steering wheel. up under the console there will be a switch that the brake lever, not the pedal, but the iron lever. it will have a piece sticking out and when you push in the pedal the brake lights will come on. let off and the lights go off. if they are staying on then you will need to either replace the switch, or readjust the switch. either is not very hard at all.
And this happens all the time with older cars. but the headlight switch is another whole deal if you have the push pull switch then you will have to take off the **** by pulling it off . or by loosening a set screw. then you will need to take off the thin nut and the switch will come out at the inside. on some applications you will need to write down the color of wire off of what prong it comes off of. and the newer cars have a plug that is easy to get off and back on. if you have any questions let me no...

Old 04-27-2011, 01:22 AM

you can get a new switch installed about $400. it's the multiuse switch on the high beam or turn signal indicator...