Nissan Forum - Nissan Enthusiast Forums

Nissan Forum - Nissan Enthusiast Forums (https://nissanforum.com/forum/)
-   Nissan Maxima (https://nissanforum.com/forum/nissan-maxima-12/)
-   -   blinking air bag light (https://nissanforum.com/forum/nissan-maxima-12/blinking-air-bag-light-2258/)

saltykayak 08-12-2006 11:40 PM

blinking air bag light

This is my first post in the Nissan forum and without a doubt won't be the last.

Here's my first question with a little background. I just bought a 95 Maxima from my step-son who is just added another child to the litter and the Maxima is no longer able to tote all the youngsters around. I replaced the starter and shazam, the 'check engine' light went out. Also, removed and replaced the broken radio with a new one with a USB input.. works great with playing MP3's. My stepson ran the tires down to the metal so I am now in the process of replacing all 4. Car still runs great even with 225,000 miles on it. However, I have a blinking 'air-bag' light that is irritating and needs correcting. Short of taking it into the Ni$$an shop, how can I reset or correct the light?

thanx, saltykayak

Rub8322 08-14-2006 03:25 AM

RE: blinking air bag light

why dont u try checkin the fuses, maybe the airbag fuse needs to be replaced.

reiska 08-14-2006 07:24 AM

Batt cable off for ½hour resets ECU & other computers... if no 'hard' problem exists, bag light should go out.

saltykayak 08-14-2006 07:49 AM

Hi gang,
I'm not sure where the fuse for the air bag is to check it. Also, I have had the battery out of the car several times over night and the air bag light did not go off.. However, and this is just a crazy fix. I did a search on the net for 'blinking airbag light' and in one of the forums.

It said: open door (do not close), insert key into ignition and turn it to the on position - not start. Reach down to the door ajar button and press it 7 times. This should reset the blinking light.

Of course I had to try it. The first time it didn't work so I had to try it again. This time when I inserted the key and the dash lights came on, I 'quickly' reached down and pressed the button 7 times. I immediately noticed the blinking light was only blinking half as fast as before. This indicated that there is 'something related between this button and the air bag light. I started the car, and the blinking continued at half speed. I turned the car off then turned the ignition to where the dash lights just activate and quickly reached down pressed the ajar button 7 times. The light has been out now for 3 days.

Anyone wanna guess why this worked? If anyone has a blinking airbag light, try this. It may or may not work for you but I 'finally' have NO lights on on the dash.

saltykayak

reiska 08-14-2006 01:01 PM

...and this is just a crazy fix. ...
Hmm. Agreed. Hwhoho cares what fixes the problem.

2dr_sentra 08-23-2006 06:51 PM

you have to turn the key to on, open the door push the door ajar button a fast and few times, then close the door turn the car back on! and it SHOULD work.

wait you fixed it!:D

pisco 02-19-2007 10:55 PM

RE: blinking air bag light -97 pathfinder

Hello, I'm also new to this forum. I was googling "reset airbag light pathfinder" and ended up here.
I wanted to thank saltykayak and everybody in this forumbecause his/her method worked exactly the same on my 97 nissan pathfinder.
I don't remember exactly what I did (if I closed or not the door after the pressing the button 7 times, or if I started the car o only went to ON), but I had the same situation: 1st time nothing happened, 2nd time the speed of the blinking was slower, 3rd time the light did not blink anymore.

secion8 03-19-2008 10:07 PM

Hello Yall,

I just tried this on a 95 nissan 200sx ser and can confirm it worked exactly the same way the above poster described. That light was driving me crazy... Thank you very much for the how to.

eyed 05-16-2008 02:00 PM

worked on my 96 altima for about a year then the light came on again, but fixed the same way