Nissan Pathfinder This mid-sized SUV has been at the head of its class since its early years thanks to its abilities both on the road, and off.

white smoke from Pathfinder

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 12:33 AM
Default white smoke from Pathfinder

I have a 2002 Pathfinder. Occasionally, it will bellow out a large cloud of white smoke upon start-up. Not just a little condensataion burning off, but a large cloud of smoke. Rather embarrassing to say the least, but the car seems to operate fine otherwise. The dealer has checked the head gasket and it seems ok. Could not find any signs of oil or coolant leaks.

It seems to happen after the car is started after sitting for awhile (like first thing in the morning or when my daughter starts it when she leaves school at the end of the day). Not always, but more and more frequently.

The dealer doesn't seem to have an idea of how to proceed. Any suggestions?

Old 11-23-2005, 07:32 PM
Default RE: white smoke from Pathfinder

So, it's not losing/burning any oil and it doesn't have any coolant loss either right? Well, I can't think of anything else that could create smoke so that pretty much narrows it down to condensation burning off or better put, steaming out of your exhaust. I guess the best thing to do is keep a close eye on your oil and coolant levels to be sure it really isn't leaking somewhere. Wait, you didn't mention how many miles it has on it. I suppose it's possible you might be getting smoke from worn out valve seals. When valve seals wear out, oil sometimes runs down the valves when sitting for a long time (like over night) and you'll get a big puff of smoke when you first start it up.

Let us know what you find out,

Brad

Old 06-20-2006, 08:31 PM

i had the same problem as you i have a 89 that just shot out white smoke all day the took it in and hand an oill shange and filter change and there is no white smoke now it been 2 months

Old 07-01-2006, 05:07 PM

Worst case scenerio, it could be a head gasket. If it is and that's not fixed, you will lose your engine. Check your oil to see if there is any coolant in it, and check your coolant to see if there is any oil in it, if there is, then it's your head gasket.

But if it's just on start up, then I doubt it.