Nissan Quest This minivan offers an economical solution to those who want the size of an SUV, but with greater economy.

AT question

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 06:28 PM
Default AT question

My brother has a 96 Villager (Quest) with the 3.0 V6 and 3 speed auto. I'm thinking about getting the van from him. BUT, it only goes into 1st and 3rd, and reverse. We are thinking it is probably an electric issue, but figured I'd go to the boards, to the experts, for any ideas of what could be wrong with it? I really don't know much about electronics myself, understand mechanicals better, and earlier vehicles. Help!

Thanks in advance,
Cat

Oh, we did just download the service manual, which helps, but does look like we need to be rocket scientists to understand the electronics, wow!

Last edited by samurai-kitty; 03-20-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:08 AM

Nothing?

Old 07-04-2011, 09:56 PM

you said you brought it to the experts, what did they said about it?

Old 07-05-2011, 10:34 PM

Nothing, as you can see. I meant "experts" as in forum Quest owners. I have been on many other vehicle boards but almost never get NO response.

I will need to take it to someone who can check the codes to find out why 2nd gear isn't working, I'm hoping it is just a sensor problem. I am still thinking about getting it from my brother but just have not had time/money to deal with it.

Actually forgot about this post, full house!

Old 07-22-2011, 12:12 PM

I would jump on the Transmission as the problem. I changed mine out twice.
Before you do, drain the old transmission fluid and put new fluid in. Not much investment, but when the trany begins to have problems hitting gears, it's often the solution.