Nissan Sentra The Sentra has grown to be one of the most popular cars ni the sport compact market with its powerful 4 cylinder engine and spacious interior.

Sentra Loud Noise Cold Start

Old 05-30-2006, 08:37 PM
Default Sentra Loud Noise Cold Start

Hello all, i have an 02 Nissan Sentra SER 2.5l. When I start the car when the engine is cold i have a really loud noise almost like a bag of tools clunking around or metal rattling against metal sound. I thought maybe the lifters others say starter? Any ideas? Sound Familiar to anyone? Thanks!

Old 05-30-2006, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Sentra Loud Noise Cold Start

does the noise last for a while or does it go away after you start it? cause starters can make a whinning noise after they start and thats a sign of the starter going bad, but if you a have a bag of tools noise i would first check your oil level and if its good when was your last oil change? get back to me

Old 06-03-2006, 05:11 PM

it only lasts a few seconds and it doesnt make the sound until after the engine has turned over. doesnt feel or sound like a starter to me at all. as for oil its perfect. I used Amsoil just 2 months ago on it.

Old 09-22-2006, 05:03 PM

ORIGINAL: EHouseHead
it only lasts a few seconds and it doesnt make the sound until after the engine has turned over.
Bro if you had a problem with your engine oil that bag of tools sound wouldn't go away!

It's most likely your starter. When your car starter starts turning centrifugal force throws a small gear into your flywheel and spins rapidly to spin your flywheel to get the car to start. Once your car starts that gear is supposed to be thrown back into the starter by a spring. If that gear were to stick permanently after your car started that little gear would turn so fast that the starter would self destruct.

Sounds like your little gear is sluggish is all...it's getting stuck for a few seconds and then retreating. I dunno if you can repair a starter that does this or do you just need a new one.

That's my best guess.

Old 10-03-2006, 11:44 AM

can u all help me who know the timing mark of this enjin GA16 pls

Old 10-27-2006, 03:29 PM

I have not seen your model/year but on my 95 model the timing mark is over the crankshaft main pulley (Lowest large double pulley that drives all the belts). This is on the passenger side of the car which is refered to as the front side of the engine. Remove the Radiator's coolant overflow tank by pulling striaght up to see the engine in that area. The mark is at about 1:00 in relation to the craftshaft pulley.

Here is a quick sketch . . http://www.flickr.com/photos/9222512...n/photostream/

Hope this helps.
Pete