Nissan Sentra The Sentra has grown to be one of the most popular cars ni the sport compact market with its powerful 4 cylinder engine and spacious interior.

Can't lock/unlock door with key

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007 | 04:50 PM
Default Can't lock/unlock door with key

Hey all,
Have an 06 Sentra with the keyless entry setup. Had car for about a year and a half, today I tried for the first time to lock/unlock the doors with the key only... and Nothing happens. Insert key, turn it counterclockwise (toward front ), key turns, no locking of doors. Turn key clockwise (toward rear of car) and No unlocking... baffling it is. I go to the trunk and the trunk unlocks just fine. I can use they keyless fob without a problem and also the internal lock/unlock button works fine... just not with the stupid key. Any ideas anyone, Burnout?

Old 08-24-2007 | 04:45 PM
Default RE: Can't lock/unlock door with key

did you only try one key? does the pass door have a key cylinder?, if so try that door. with it being a 06 you should still have factory warranty left, use it.

Old 08-28-2007 | 08:08 AM

I tried all 3 keys which were supplied with the vehicle. Passenger side does not have a key cylinder, only drivers side. Called the dealership, says warranty doesn't include door locks.

Old 08-28-2007 | 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like one of the tabs broke on the back of the cylinder where the rod connects to it. Pull off the door panel and check it out.

Old 08-28-2007 | 02:15 PM

Sounds like something has come disconnected in the linkage between the lock cylinder and the latch.
Don't you have a bumper to bumper 36 month warranty? Does not include door locks??? Ask to see that in writting before you believe it. What the ___? Even if it is in writing I think I would ask someone else about that. Contact Nissan directly, don't buy the service manager's BS. Get Nissan to approve fixing it so you don't break anything and have to cover the replacement cost(s) yourself. I bet it never worked in the first place. You are screwed if your battery dies or the electric locks / keyless stops working. May have never been hooked up at the factory in the first place. It is just a small plastic clip that keeps the rod on the lock linkage and if it broke you have to get it from the dealer anyway. It should only take them 20 minutes or so to fix. They should do it as a customer service even out of warranty, really.

Good luck.