Nissan Xterra The Xterra offers a more compact alternative to the Pathfinder, without compromising interior size, and with the optional supercharged engine, it is not all bark and no bite.

squeaking noise under dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 05:06 PM
Default squeaking noise under dashboard

Hello everyone

Since I got my X (SE model) I've heard a damn squeaking noise (like plastic or light metal) under the dashboard, passenger side. Here are the facts: when it rains, it doesn't sound at all; I drive at least 2 or 3 miles until it starts; WHEN SOMEONE OVER 140LB SITS ON THE PASSANGER SEAT the noise goes away. I already took the X to 2 different service dealers, they told me nothing was wrong (its a very anoying answer when you hear the noise and you paid good money for the car!!!). My X it's only 3 months old and this is a very good reason to get rid of it.

I have been looking in the web for someone to let me know if this was already figured out. I have found a guy that told that in his X, he had the same noise, the dealer retorqued the left front body mount, that there are 6 of them (mounts) underneath the chasy and frame, and that the noise went away. Anyone here knows about this?

Please, let me know!!!!

Old 06-26-2006, 10:35 PM
Default RE: squeaking noise under dashboard

I have an 05 xterra. Squeaking drove me crazy. I located it in the back though. The plastic frame where the first aid kit was loose. I gave it a few good wacks and the squeaking stopped. You sure it is in the front?

Old 06-27-2006, 12:44 AM

No. It's in the front, passenger side, like inside the dash, under the airbag system and a/c components. It's very very frustating to get a new car and have noises like a 6 year old car. I'm waiting for a third dealer to check on the problem. Will let you know

Thanks for your insight

Old 06-27-2006, 05:20 PM

Just found on another forum that it may be the hood-hinge cover, they press directly against the upper firewall, that transmits the squeaking sound right into the dashboard. The problem is that I do not know what is the hood-hinge cover. Does anyone knows?

The guy said that he replaced those covers and the noise stopped. Other person said that libricating the rubber cover would do it.

WHAT IT'S A HINGE COVER???????

thanks

Old 06-27-2006, 11:59 PM

I know what is now. But I sprayed wd-40 and noise did not stopped. I really need help here, I'm calling the bank agent to work a thing to give up the X.

It's very frustrating!!!!

Old 12-14-2007, 08:33 PM

Hi all,

I got an 2003 Xterra XE, its in very nice shape but it has couple of issues.

1. It is making sound in the back when going over a hump or bumpy road. I checked under it and found that spare tire was bit losse and there is an extra chain hanging with the spare tire. I tapped that extra chain and tighten the spare tire and back number plate but the noise is still there. Please help.

2. The front grille is kind a losse and making some noise. I found that the plastic screw type clips which hold this plastic grill are loose. I tried to took them out and tight them but I don't know how to take them out and put them back. Could anyone can help me on that.

Thanks.

Pendu