Xtrail- headlight retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 10:36 AM
Default Xtrail- headlight retrofit

Hi All

Here is a step by step with a few photos’ on how I retro fitted my lights. This is the projector that I fitted to this light.

First I removed the light assembly from the car.
Then removed all the rubber bits from it: Back Plug & Rubber D strip.

Heated the oven up two 200deg C. Turn oven off, and placed the light assembly in for 5 minutes.

Removed the hot light assembly from the oven and then using a knife, slowly prized the clear lens away from the body.

Once apart, I placed the clear lens somewhere safe from being scratched.

Then I unscrewed both light aiming screws and popped the light reflector off it pivot point.

The light reflector is what I used to mount the projector. So I made a template of the bolt holes and the centre hole required on a piece of cardboard. Then transferred that across to the back of the reflector.

Then using a dremel, I cut the holes required. I dry fitted the projector before painting the silver side of the reflector with matt black.

While waiting for that to dry, I added washes to the bolts to space the projector from the mounting base (the old reflector). The spacing required was about 15mm on all.
Then using moldable epoxy, I mounded 4 feet that the securing bolts would use.

Once that had hardened, I fitted the projector, use locktight on the nuts & cut off the excess thread.

Then fitted the unit into the back housing, and reattached the adjusting screws.

Heated the oven back up to 200, and did a reversal of the above to remove the lens.
The addition of silicon to help reseal wasn’t required, as there was plenty of original goo there.

Now I fitted the unit back into the car, hooked up the light and adjusted the position to suit.

There you have it.

For those that have picked up that I haven’t fitted a shroud over the projector. I still haven’t decided on what to use. And to remove the light and oven open it again will only take 15mins. So that’s the reason why.

Old 09-25-2006, 11:20 PM
Default RE: Xtrail- headlight retrofit

repost