General Nissan Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 Sentra running issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 01:05 AM
Default 94 Sentra running issue

I have a 1994 Nissan Sentra SE-R with the 2.0, I recently tried to add a cone filter to it in a very bastardized way that ended up blocking out my MAF sensor. After replacing that MAF with a tested used one, my car started to stall out when held at a higher RPM speed (I.E. 1500 or higher) I thought it might be the fuel pump but once the engine quits out I can just turn it back on and it will idle just fine and do it all day long. I talked to some family and friends who knew a little more about cars than me and they gave me suggestions like; remove the gas cap for a possible breather issues that would cause a vacuum in the take, and testing the idle air controller. After trying these and not having any luck, my girlfriends dad talked to me about it possibly being a ECU or engine controller problem. Now, I did have a problem a while back with my negative battery cable braking off of the engine ground and it grounded out through what i thought was my dash board, but after fixing it, my tachometer no longer worked. I tried Using an after market tach. and spliced it into the sending wire but that proved unsuccessful. After mentioning this to my girlfriends father he suggested that, with the ground cable issues and the cone filter rigging gone wring, that I may have over worked and confused my ECU or engine controller enough to cause it to burn itself out.

Now, with that very long explanation of what happened to get get you all caught up to speed, I was wondering if anyone had any other thoughts one what it could be or what I could look at to try and fix my situation. Any thoughts or comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks