New Member Area New to Nissan Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

I need help with a 1987 Sentra carburetor issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 09:35 PM
Default I need help with a 1987 Sentra carburetor issue

Hello.

I'm new to the forum.

I have a 1987 Nissan Sentra GXE. The car has a brand new rebuilt engine and a great transmission. The rest of the car is in great shape as well, except for this seemingly unsolvable carburetor/gas issue.

The car was running great until one day it wouldn't start normally. Something happened that made the carburetor need gas to be manually poured into the carb in order for the car to start. If the car sits longer than 2 or 3 days without running I have to pour a small amount of gas into the carb to get the car started.

If you are unfamiliar with this carburetor and engine you need to know that it consists of a myriad of vacuum hoses and this issue my car is experiencing has stumped some of the top Nissan mechanics in the nation.

I have the service manual for the car but apparently the manual does not show a picture or diagram view of bottom (underside) of the carburetor.

We've tried all the obvious stuff, new fuel filter, new vacuum hoses, new fuel pump, carburetor adjustments, check for cracks in the carburetor bowl, gas lines, etc.

My current mechanic tells me that there are 2 vacuum hose nipples under the carburetor and he doesn't know what/where/how to connect the hoses/nipples and that he can't find any type of diagram or picture of this part of the carburetor.

He is not sure if this two open nipples are the problem or all of the problem but it is the obvious place to start.

If anyone has a complete diagram or picture of this carburetor, has any knowledge/experience with this carburetor or this specific issue or knows of a specific forum I could join that may specifically deal with this year/model Nissan I would really be grateful if you could pass that information on to me.

What started out as a need to fix my car has turned into a mission to solve a puzzle that has baffled nationally known Nissan mechanics.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your help and consideration.

Vincent