General Nissan Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

17 maxima horrible shake

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2022, 05:03 PM
Default 17 maxima horrible shake

In serious need of help. We have a 17 Maxima Platinum 3.5. This started with only a very slight shake while accelerating when we bought the car a couple months ago. The car needed tires anyway so, 4 brand new tires installed. The next week, the shaking was still there (still only slight)but after a few days there was a low pitched rumble. Checked the passenger side wheel bearing and replaced with new. I did find a bad spot in the old wheel bearing confirming that it was going out. Since the car has 116K miles, I replaced all 6 spark plugs and one coil boot. Initial test drive with only me in the car was perfect. After loading the family, I noticed the shake was WAY worse than previous and felt like an out of balance tire. The shake frequency doesn’t change based on RPM or speed and shows up around 15 mph. I re-torqued the CV axel nut from 129 ft lbs to 170 because I initially got the wrong torque spec. Shake went away completely for about 200 miles then came back with a vengeance. Replaced the wheel bearing again and torqued to 182.5 ft lbs based on the Nissan dealership’s service manual. Now- if there’s one occupant being a 200 pound driver, the shake is almost absent. Add 4 adults or around 800lbs and it will almost shake you out of the car. Only while accelerating, worse on hills and when turning. Again, frequency doesn’t change with RPM or speed and there’s no CEL illuminated. I don’t feel any slack in the CV axel and the boots are still in perfect shape. The motor mounts are tight and I’ve watched the engine while moving from drive to reverse and it’s normal. The Struts appear to be in great shape and dampening is normal. I’ve “shifted” the CVT to different “gears” while maintaining the same speed and the frequency of the shake doesn’t change. I’ve also checked the tie rod ends and ball joints and they appear to be in excellent condition and there’s no slack in the steering. I’m beyond frustrated and am at the very end of my knowledge and experience here. Any help at all is MUCH appreciated. Thanks in advance.