General Nissan Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2001 Altima pwr lock / alarm problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 07:47 PM
Default 2001 Altima pwr lock / alarm problem

I would like to preface this by saying, thank you for having an easy registration process....i've seen forums with the most ridiculous set of hoops in order to post.

On to my problem...

I have a 2001 Nissan Altima GXE with what i believe to be an electrical short in the Alarm / Power lock system.

I purchased the car used and for the past 4 years i have had the pleasure of having my car lock / unlock, alarm sounding at 2 am, and lights flashing at it's own will. This occurs whether or not the Key is in ignition, the car is on or off. I pulled the fuse for the horn, so the alarm system is no longer triggered (or make noise), however the locking mechanism is still a problem.

The biggest problem is how inconsistent the issue is. It can occur for several minutes, hours, days, or months at a time, to then stop for the same inconsistent period of time. Weather (high moisture / low moisture, hot or cold) does not seem to be a factor when it will be triggered.

It does, sometimes trigger, when i drive over a bump in the road....but that is also an inconsistent factor that doesn't always trigger the issue.

When the car is locking itself, i can hear a "tick" inside the dash to the lower left, slightly above where the fuse chamber sits. This is the ONLY consistent trait this problem seems to produce.

Recently i took the car to the dealership to have them take a look at it, and i explained the problem and showed a service tech. He saw the car lock and unlock, and i told him i believed it may be a short in the driver side lock, which is triggering the power locks. He removed the unit and found some leads were corroded (slightly green) and replaced the part. I thought this would solve the problem, but $200 (F*ing RIP) and 3 days later, the problem came back. They performed no diagnostic or electrical tests to deduce the problem to that part....they merely took my advice (a total laymen in terms of cars).

I'm at wits end and ripping my hair out (literally) because the locks will lock/unlock at their own will at any time. The most frustrating is when you are half-way though opening the door to get out of the car, it locks. Also, it's great when the car locks when you have it running and the windows up, while you run into a friends house to grab a CD.

What do you think the problem is? Is this something i can diagnose myself (the service techs are more than incompetent)? Is this something i can repair myself? Has anyone else had or seen this problem before? Is the dealership responsible for the problem after they diagnosed and repaired the problem, only to find that it still exists?

I know little about cars, but can easily learn. Any help would be MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!

THANKS!!!!

Old 10-02-2007, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2001 Altima pwr lock / alarm problem

You need to take it back to the place that did the first repair..... if it was a dealer normally their service is warrantied for a years time. I wonder if it's the key fob that has a short in it .... ever try to take the battery out of the remote and see if the problem goes away ?

Old 10-02-2007, 11:52 AM

ORIGINAL: Burnnout

You need to take it back to the place that did the first repair..... if it was a dealer normally their service is warrantied for a years time. I wonder if it's the key fob that has a short in it .... ever try to take the battery out of the remote and see if the problem goes away ?
Burnout:

At first, i thought it was the remote because it was happening a lot....so i stopped using it and left it at home. When the problem persisted This led me to believe that other car remotes may trigger the locks or make it go haywire, but the service tech at the dealership told me there are thousands of codes and the chances of other remotes affecting my car are very slim.

The thing is, maybe the lock part isn't faulty....it's another part or wire that has a short. My beef is that hte dealership didn't do any diagnostic or electrical testing and simply replaced a part on a whim, to appease my theory that it may be that part....should i call them up and bitch?

Old 10-03-2007, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

Yes definatley..... 99% of the time customers get what they complain about..... in this case if they didn't diagnose the problem then they are at fault.....and further more if they did diagnose the problem and replaced the wrong part then they are still at fault.

Old 10-03-2007, 04:55 PM

could somebody confirm there is or is not a auto door lock control unit under the panel (dash) to the right of the fuse box, in a 2001 altima GXE ? I called the dealership and the service rep. told me there is no control unit under the panel, however, in a hayes book it states there is (however it is unclear as to which year altima this may refer too).

THANK YOU!

Old 10-04-2007, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

There is a smart entrance control unit under the dash (for the keyless entry) however I think it's located more towards the passenger side.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:49 PM

There is a smart entrance control unit under the dash (for the keyless entry) however I think it's located more towards the passenger side.
Please excuse my ignorance, I know so little about cars and their terminology. Is the "smart entrance control unit" the sensor for the remote? If this unit is located in the dash, next to the fuse box, it could be what is making the "tick" noise when the locks are triggered. When i use the power locks, the same "tick" noise comes from that area, so it's definitely an indicator that the "unit" or whatever is there, is related to the locks. I'm just trying to get a grasp of what it is, so i can take it back to the dealer and have them replace that specific part, and the wiring going too and from the driver side lock lock switch.

Thanks Again!

Old 10-10-2007, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Yes it is the control unit for the remote..... you sure you are not hearing a tick noise from a relay ?Serisouly you need to take your car back to the dealer, have them diagnose it properly, and make the neccesary repairs..... those control units retail for $350 plus. If your dealer just threw parts at a problem and it didn't fix it then they need to do makethings right.(atleast meeting you half way) If they give you any crap call 1-800-Nissan1. Where are you located ?

Old 11-12-2007, 05:14 PM

Yes it is the control unit for the remote..... you sure you are not hearing a tick noise from a relay ?Serisouly you need to take your car back to the dealer, have them diagnose it properly, and make the neccesary repairs..... those control units retail for $350 plus. If your dealer just threw parts at a problem and it didn't fix it then they need to do makethings right.(atleast meeting you half way) If they give you any crap call 1-800-Nissan1. Where are you located ?
Burnout,

i am now located in north-west connecticut. I had the car serviced in Eastern PA (easton). It really pisses me off that i specifically told them the issue, and the problems, and got an answer that echoed "you don't know what you're talking about". The Manager of maintenance specifically told me there was no control unit in that part of the car that involved the locks. Also, do you know of any documentation i may use to back up my hypothesis of the control unit being located there? I mean....he did flat out deny it even existed in that area of the car.

Would it be totally unreasonable to request a credit for the part they replaced and labor towards the next repair, considering I researched and diagnosed the problem myself...not to mention paid for diagnosis and a part that was dead wrong? I have litte (no) experience negotiating with the dealerships and not sure what they are capable of.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

And Burnout, Thank you very much.....your insight has been worth it's weight in gold!!!!

Old 11-13-2007, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

http://www.courtesyparts.com/betasit...3558_3564.html

That link shows pretty much what I see here at work ..... As far as getting your issuecorrected that phone number is your best weapon. Service dept.'s have to keep a certain percentage of happy customers or they get in big trouble.... when you call Nissan they pretty much do anything to resolve any (reasonable) situation. You were obviously wronged....... you paid to have your problem fixed and it wasn't fixed... so give them a call and let them know about it. 1800nissan1.

Quick Reply: 2001 Altima pwr lock / alarm problem