General Nissan Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'92 s13 overheating - changed thermostat.. still overheating

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 06:33 PM
Default '92 s13 overheating - changed thermostat.. still overheating

hey i know i should have searched first but i really dont have time im late for work as it is....

i just need some help/advice from technically skilled people...

yesterday i was at the car wash vacuuming my ride and i left it running idling, when i got back in 5 mins later the heat gauge was up all the way "oh ****, that can't be good"

talked to a few friends, they told me to change to thermostat... so i did. i dont think there is a wrong way to put a thurmostat in, besides backwards... but i did everything the chilton's told me to do... i filled it back up with fluid, let the air bubble out... the overflow resevoir is at max, the radiator is maxed....

i drove around for a lil while and it overheated again. []

so i talked to a mechanic and he told me to make sure both hoses are of equal temperature.. the top radiator hose is sweltering hot while the bottom hose is barely warm. i guess the fluid is not circulating all the way through? what does it all mean? what would you do?

what's my next move?

engine is a ka24de

any advice or pointers are MUCH appreciated. i just put a new clutch, steering rack, tie rods all around and ball joints in this mother ****er... $3000 invested after purchase, im not about to give up on this baby. NISMO! NISMO! NISMO!!!!!!!!!!!

NIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSMmmmmOO!!

Old 09-07-2006, 12:38 AM
Default RE: '92 s13 overheating - changed thermostat.. still overheating

ok, if you believe you are not getting circulation between the top and bottom of the radiator then it must be plugged up. yu can remove radiator and take it to a radiator shop and see if they can "rod it out". if they dont deem it worth fixeing then yu can order a new one. you can try backflushing it with a garden hose and see if you can unplug it.ive even run cascade dishwasher detergent in the system to help loosen the crud.oh , make sure your recovery tank is working and not damaged. and make sure your electric fans are comeing on properly at the correct temp.make sure your not gitting scum or oil in the radiator also denoteing a head gasket prob. happy wrenching!

Old 09-09-2006, 01:53 AM
Default RE: '92 s13 overheating - changed thermostat.. still overheating

Could also be the water pump......