General Nissan Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 Sentra Stalling problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 02:42 AM
Default 94 Sentra Stalling problem

I've had this car for about 4 months . The only thing that is a real problem is this periodic stalling. It happens intermittently so thats another wierd thing about it. This is what happens: After going at a high speed or high rpm and then suddenly slowing down fast for a turn off the freeway ,etc, the car stalls. All electrical components are fine and remain on,it s just the engine that cuts off and it starts back up again with no trouble in a few seconds. It is just getting very annoying and seems to happenin more often as the weather gets warmer, maybe from the extra load of the a/c bein on. It is a manual trans, GA16DE engine. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks

Old 05-21-2006, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 94 Sentra Stalling problem

Have you done any mods to your car? do you have the maintance history on the car cause your car just might need a tune up,
spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, fuel filter, air filter, coolant drain and fill, manual trans drain and fill (75w-90 or
80w-90 gear oil) and oil change is usaully in a real tune up cause possibly your cap and rotor are fried and or plugs are no good. get back to me and let me know more info on this issue.

Old 05-23-2006, 03:19 PM

Hey: Unfortunately I don't have any maintenance records. I just got a basic tune up about 3 mos. ago , where they just change the plugs,check timing, but the problem continues. I was looking at the repair manual i have and under stalling troubleshooting it does mention fuel filter, which i'm sure is due to change. and I'll check out the cap and rotor to inspect that . Is there a way to tell if the fuel filter is dirty just by visual insp. or just go ahead and change it due to milage? . The book also mentions : Idle speed incorrect or vacuum leak somewhere. It seems to idle fine under norm conditions or could it be the IAC module? It could be a # of things, where do you think i should start, with the cap/rotor? Also, would a diagnostic check be able to pinpoint the problem or just give a list of possibilities. Let me know what you think. Thanks.
Josh

Old 08-25-2006, 12:01 AM

Did the problem get fixed? I have a 98 altima w/ auto trans. Has the exact same things, but mine also has the check engine light coming on occasionally.

Old 08-30-2006, 12:27 AM

my 94 altima does something similar. It's a leaky valve seal. Check your plugs again.