General Nissan Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'99 maxima anti theft key transponder?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 01:18 PM
Default '99 maxima anti theft key transponder?

I have a 1999 maxima GXE. It suddenly won't start. Have tested every switch and relay I could find using Haynes manual. Car is now at local mechanic. Computer says no injector pulse, theft active. Red security light stays on when key is turned to start or run position. Nissan dealer says transponder in key may be bad and bring it in. Cost a minimum of $90 to diagnose no mention of cost to fix, probably hundreds....What do I do next? Can this be fixed DIY. For the cost of Nissan dealer I could probably buy the key programmer myself (I don't know this but I dont trust dealer shops, they always overcharge. I almost always DIY).

Old 06-09-2007, 02:42 PM
Default RE: '99 maxima anti theft key transponder?

I have narrowed the problem down to the transponder in the key telling the computer to lock the engine into theft mode and will not send injector pulse signal to fuel injectors (I also replaced the fuel pump first and with no results).
My uncle has a reputable garage and a sophisticated scanner which pinpointed the theft mode and lack of injector pulse.

Unfortunately I have not yet gotten the car running because the dealer and every source of information I have come across all indicate that this problem with the transponder in the key is dead and now all keys will give same result without nissan specific key reprogrammer (an expensive device which I have so far been unable to convince my beloved uncle to purchase). I abhor the thought of taking it to the dealership. Seems rather akin to raising the rear end and taking an obstruction up the tailpipe to me........$$$

If you have pursued this course of action and have any success with your Maxima please let me know through this very useful forum. I am also curious to know how much the above mentioned procedure would cost to correct....

ttfn.....

Old 06-10-2007, 02:02 PM
Default RE: '99 maxima anti theft key transponder?

Boy you've sure got a chatty bunch over here... How do you hear your self over all the noise?[>:][>:][>:]

Anyway,
If anybody out there has any experience with this kind of issue suggestions would be appreciated