General Nissan Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brakes on 00 Quest

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 05:26 PM
Default Brakes on 00 Quest

[Copied from Quest Forum] My dad has a 2000 Quest (see picture) w/ 89k miles on it. It runs fine, but he is having a problem with his front passenger side brakes. At 80k miles I replaced the old brakes with Bosch pads and Brembo rotors. I noticed that when you are in traffic for about 5-10 miles, the right side makes a grinding sound and vibrates the brake pedal. I am thinking that it might be the caliper, but I am not sure and was wondering what anyone thinks that it might be. I have (super) greased the caliper pins and it is still happening. A few weeks ago I got onto a clear road near my house and opened it up (I know, it is a minivan). I got up to about 80 then hit the brakes hard, but not hard enough to skid. Nothing happened. I did it three more times and still nothing went wrong. Later, I drove it to work (8 mile trip) and it started making the grinding sound as I pulled onto the lot. Does anyone know what is wrong with this van? Thanks.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2052/1CC6F255CA1647BC95028642D71BFC74.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-19-2006, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Brakes on 00 Quest

well is it a grind or a squek noise cause if its a grinding noise i would check your wheel bearing on the passenger side, see if it has any play, and also check your pads to see if you happen to have bad pads cause if you do alot of heavy braking in your everyday comute then you probably have worn pads, check to see if there is anything touching the rotor or anything that is to close to the rotor or caliper. if you have a really bad wheel bearing and the inner part of the wheel grinding against the caliper. to tell you the truth i have to look at the car cause theres not enough info really for me to tell you what could be wrong, if i were you get the front end i jack stands and put the car into drive with the front wheels off the ground and bring it to about 15-20mph and apply the brakes.( dont exceed that mph or you could damage your drive axles cause of the degree of angle the axles are sitting at on the jacks) well let us know when you find out whats wrong.