General Nissan Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

I have an Electrical Prob Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 06:28 PM
Default I have an Electrical Prob Please Help

My tail lights arent working and keeps blowing the fuse. The brake lamps work and the blinkers work...But when I turn on my head lights it blows the fuse to the night running tail lights (brake lights and blinkers still work)

Where to start looking, I cant drive at night without getting pulled over, I need my car back on the road...Please help

Ray G
Wifi

Old 04-06-2006, 11:46 AM
Default RE: I have an Electrical Prob Please Help

It sounds like a short to me. Start at the bulb sockets and work your way back checking for any exposed wire touching anything metal or another wire. It could be just a bad socket as well. Look for anything strange in the plastic housing.

Old 04-19-2006, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator

you have a short if you keep blowing fuses, i would get an ohmeter and measure the resistance from the fuse that powers the tailights and get a longer jumper wire and check from the fuse block to the power wire to that powers the tailight driving lights (not the wire for the brake light) there is 3 wires that goes to that 1157 bulb, one powers the brake light and the other powers the parking light and the black one is the ground. well check the resistance and it should be about 0 ohms .1-.5 is ok but if its higher than that you have a short. check both power wires for the parking lights on both rear tailights so you can figure out wich side tailight has the short. to let you know this is for advanced auto mechanics to fix this, and it very time consuming and stressfull. if you dont feel confident enough to do this yourself i would take it to your local shop or a auto electric shop (there cheaper and speacialize in electricity). well hope this helped. let us know how it comes out.

Old 04-20-2006, 12:29 AM

I found the Problem

The Dumb *** who installed my head unit (me) forgot to cover up all bare wires. it was the illumination wire that was shorting everything out. Iwrapped it up and solved the problem

Thanx For Everyones Info

Ray G

Old 04-21-2006, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

LOL dont you hate it when that happens well thats good that you found it.