General Nissan Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

multiple engine problems,losing power

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 05:46 PM
Default multiple engine problems,losing power

I bought my micra 6 mths ago,I knew the engine was dieing but got a great price for it .rich exhaust gas,bad odour inside,air filter oily,1 liter oil every 200 miles etc u know the story.but the car did fine until this year.it happened one day with the engine hot after a few miles.slightly shakes and esitations in 4th then 3rd ;then stops and hardly moving off.nest 3 days all ok.then the nightmare again and gets worse , starts shaking earlier and uglier.local garage unable to figure out.
This may help:Ive noticed a buzzy noise at the top of engine.its kinda short or improper sparkling i think.I pull out the 1st sparkle plug engine seems doing fine ,when I push it back in the sound reapears,engine struggles and stops in minutes.
Is my micra dead?any solutions accepted.please help!

Old 02-04-2006, 09:27 PM
Default RE: multiple engine problems,losing power

had similar problem with my 95 altima. distributor was shot,600.dollars canadian for the part. it did the same thing, ran rougher until it just quit

Old 02-05-2006, 01:45 PM

thanx for replying.mine is a 93 micra 1 litre.I know a little electronics but car parts...What is the distributor u talking about?it sound expensive.

Old 02-05-2006, 02:54 PM

Follow the plug wires back to where they start. Thats your distributor. I am unfamiliar with your vehicle but it will probably be round with posts for the wires to clip on to.

Old 02-06-2006, 02:45 PM

here is more about my car.I suspected oil burns before buying it since checked the exhaust gases colour and smell.but I only paid 3 quid and using it for short trips.I know it might not worth fixing,Im taking it to a nissan dealer for diagnostics.Ill let u know.
After first 2 miles it starts juddering.it seems like plug 1 causes a short or something,taking it out solves the problem,when back in the engine is struggleing and cuts out in seconds. Ive bought & replaced the plugs,old ones looked pretty good I suppose,dry with thin white-gray threads (like smoke).The sparks were black all right,got them cleaned and back in.
distributor may be faulty thou.Its cracked at one of the skrew holes and the four pins inside are white and corroded.got everything a good polish but no improvment.
can oil in the cylinder cause a misfire or is a pure electrical/electronic problem? how about the fuel consumption?8.5l/100km

Old 02-09-2006, 09:04 PM

There is your problem. Get a new cap and rotor. Not expensive. Seems like that will solve your problems. Let us know how it goes.

Old 03-03-2006, 03:27 PM

hi there

thanks for ur patience,eventually picked up my mcra and surprise.after diagnostic test run by dealer they said problem is the mass air flow sensor!so got throttle body changed and car back on roaddddd

Old 03-17-2006, 07:45 PM

Fooled me on that one! I'll be sure to think about this one when similar problems come up. Glad to hear it's fixed.