General Nissan Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Nissan Terrano 2.7 TD Running Temprature Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 12:35 PM
Default Nissan Terrano 2.7 TD Running Temprature Question

Hi, i recently bought a nissan terrano II 2.7 TD 1995 N Reg, the temprature sensor did not seem to work so i replaced it and i have been driving the 4x4 a fews time now and the temprature guage never seems to move above the 1/4 way mark, is this perfectly normal or is it something that should be looked at?

Nathan
[/align][align=center] [/align]

Old 04-02-2007, 04:20 AM
Default RE: Nissan Terrano 2.7 TD Running Temprature Question

I've got an old (8 years older than your terrano) patrol/safari diesel (4.2 non-turbo) that behaves the same, and has done so since I've owned it (over 10 years). Mechanical repair (as opposed to routine maintenance) cost has been $0.00 in 10 years. Oops... I exaggerate - I needed a new muffler about 3 years back - and new brushes in the starter motor a few months ago, so repair costs have been about $6/year. Brilliant - most reliable vehicle I have ever owned, and ever expect to own.
Compared with a smaller nissan petrol car with lightweight engine block, alloy head etc, the car will be showing normal running temp (about 1/3 to half-way on the gauge) after travelling about 1 mile from my driveway. The Safari is showing it's normal (1/4) reading after about 2 miles, and it stays stuck right on that setting except when conditions are really extreme - like when I'm towing my boat up a big hill in summer - when it will move up to about 2/3 position. At that time, I keep one eye on the temp gauge, one on the road. If you have the slightest concern that there may be a cooling system problem, then get it checked. If you cook the motor, then the cost to repair it will really make you want to cry.

Old 04-02-2007, 05:43 AM

I think there may be a cooling issue, i got back yesterday after doing about 20 miles, kept the engine running and lifted the bonnet and saw the coolant in the expansion bottle bubbling, i can only presume its pressurising when hot and would have thought the head gasket has gone. there is no other signs of head gasket trouble such as oil contamination, white smoke etc but ill get it checked out today to make sure.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:14 AM

Could be air in the coolant system from a leak, faulty cap, or not opening the air bleed screws (if the terrano has them) when refilling the coolant system after replacing the temp sender. Good luck.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:39 AM

Thanks for your reply LostKiwi,

Hopefully fingers crossed its just air in the system, I've checked through the owners manual and there seems to be no reference to bleed screws, whats the best way to remove air from the system if theres no bleed screws?

Nathan

Old 04-02-2007, 06:14 PM

There mightn't be any bleed screws. The safari has a small air bleed hose running from the top of the thermostat housing back to the radiator header tank instead.. Some shops may have gear to vaccuum purge (if that's what it's called) , and should be able to check for minor leaks at the same time - ie if vaccuum is lost.