General Nissan Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil Overfilling

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 04:48 PM
Default Oil Overfilling

My Local Oilchange facility put 5 quartz of oil into my 4 clynder Sentra. I realized this after a leak developed and I checked the oil. I checked the reciept and sure enough they charged me for 5 qts. They wont take responsibility for the leak and say that there is an overflow into the air intake to keep the seals safe. Does anyone have any information? Am I wrong here or should they repair my car?

Old 10-18-2005, 09:21 PM
Default RE: Oil Overfilling

First thing to do is to get that extra oil out of your engine right away. Seals might be OK (not sure) but the pistons and such are at risk of slamming into that extra oil and breaking. Drain a qt. out yourself right where it sits if possible. Second thing; Keep all reciepts, documents and record any/all communications with the oil change place (date, time, who spoke to, what said, etc.) just in case your car gets damaged from the extra oil. You may want to get a hold of your local BBB and let them know what happened too. They can be your best friend in a situation like this. See if they'll take over for you here. Believe me, the oil change place won't want to mess with the BBB. Also saves you a headache.

Let us know what happens,

Brad

Oh yeah, they owe you for a qt. of oil. And, if you have to take it someplace and have the oil drained out... they owe you for that too.

Old 10-22-2005, 11:57 AM

TY Brad...They are refusing to take responsibilty for the $816.21 oil leak repair that was caused bye their overfill. My car only holds 3 3/8 qts and they put 5. I didn't discover the overfill untill oilspots were forming on the garage floor. 1500 miles after the overfill. The car was inspected by the same outfit in Sept. they reported no leak at that time. They know I would have fixed it right away. I have spent just over $6000. there over the last 1.5 years on my classic car. If I can get them to pay atleast half they can save my business from going elswhere. My next step is the BBB. just waiting to hear back their answer.I understand ppl make mistakes but they should take responsibilty for them. Again ty for your help.

Old 10-28-2005, 08:31 PM
mrt

you can also try calling local dealership and asking them if taht engin damage can be caused by over filling oil.see if you can get anything in wrighting.

Old 10-29-2005, 06:27 AM

From my experiences, over filling will cause seals to leak, but have it looked at to be sure it is a seal problem.