General Nissan Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

primera brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 11:25 AM
Default primera brake problem

Hi,
I am new to the forums so please go easy on me !!
I have a 1994 primera 1.6i hatchbackwith abs and I have a problem with the rear brakes. I changed them and since then, they make a very loud high pitched squealing noise when driving as soon as the car has been driven for about 30 minutes. This started as soon as they were bedded in. The sound will start as a constant noise or intermittent but more oftten than not it's constant. As soon as the brake is pressed lightly, the noise stops. I have been meticulous in my fitting method. I cleaned all parts thoroughly with brake cleaner after brushing out all debris. I then made sure I used copper-ease on the backs of the pads. I cannot understand why this is happening as this car has never had this problem before. The pads I bought are Ferodo and were not cheap. I have read around the internet that newer pads are more prone to noise because of the metal content but surely this means when braking ? I have that problem on my front brakes but I would like to sort this problem out first as it makes it uncomfortable to drive once the noise starts. I have bought mintex anti squeal pads that you just cut to size and fit at the back of the brake pad,but not sure if this will stop it. Has anyone any ideas ??
Thanks very much for taking the time to read this.
P.S. One more piece of info that might be of importance; When I inspected the pads yesterday, I noticed that the outer pads of the caliper have a slight taper in their wear (from inner to outer diameter). This is the pad NOT on the piston side. I looked at the old pads and these are the same but have been on the car since I got it several years ago and never noticed any problem until now. Thanks

Old 07-10-2007, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: primera brake problem

you need to turn your drums and rotors cause there all glazed from your old pads and you need a new surface for the pad material to imbed itself into, for example you have your flywheel machined before you put a new clutch in. you have to do the same for brakes. good luck

Old 10-17-2007, 12:55 PM
Default RE: primera brake problem; another case

I have a 2000 Primera, with something I think is a brakeproblem. When I touch the brake to stop the car, I can feel the ABS-system working (the brakes are "pulsing" in cause to not block the weels) when the car is almost standing still. This look to me like the ABS-system is detecting one ormore blocked wheels, but in this speed in this conditions it can't be. This problm appear once in a while, sometimes often, and somtimes not at all.
If I've understood this correctly, there's a sentral unit for this system, and sensors detecting motion on every wheel. The nissan-dealer have had a quick look on this problem, and his solution is to change the sentral unit, a very expensive operation. Do anybody have any suggestions what this can be?