General Nissan Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Synthetic Oils?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 02:53 AM
Default Synthetic Oils?

Brand new 2008 Alti 3.5 V6! I want to keep its
enginehappy but don't want to void any warranty!
I have been studying and considering the use of
synthetic oils and high quality oil filters. Mobil1,
Valvolineor Amsoil withK&N oil filter for example.
I would want to change to a long life/milagesynthetic
with my first oil change at 3,500 milesand then the next
at7,500miles.Following this I am considering a frequency
of 7,500 mile intervals for oil & filter along with the other
services recommended in the Nissan Guide. I typically drive
10,000 to 12,500 miles per year.
What is your view on this type of maintenance program?[8D]

Old 08-14-2007, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Synthetic Oils?

well amsoil and filter are really high mileage but also exspensive. if i was in your shoes i would just run an nissan filter with mobil 1 and change your oil every 3,000 miles cause if your engine blows and your oil changes on all your recipts say 7,500 oil change intevals there not going to cover your engine under warranty cause nissan says to change your oil and filter every 3000 miles so go by that until your warranty is no good then do whatever you want.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:28 AM

I use Mobil 1 in all 5 of my cars , elect. generator and 3 riding mowers. In my vehicles I actually shoot for about 5000 miles. Expensive, yes, but oil is the lifeblood of your engine. Dodge Intrepids (2.7L) have an issue with sludgein the engine and premature failure. They say synthetic won't break down like regular oil and I believe them. 140,000 miles on mine. I've always heard that you run reg. oil a time or two to let the valves seat, the convert to syn. As far as warranty, don't the owners manuals recommend 7500 miles but the lube places recommend 3000?

Old 08-25-2007, 10:51 AM

Nissan recommends 3750k intervals for oil changes. Trust they can be real hard asses when it comes time to validate a warranty claim on a new engine, especially when intervals is in question. You won't find a better oil filter than the stock Nissan oil filter that Nissan recommends. I agree with HXC_NISMO on his choice, however to be perfectly honest oil brand is not as important as frequency of oil changes. Oil is so important to your engine, that you don't want to risk it. Besides oil changes are preventative maintenance, you never want to wait to change your oil when it is "used" up, but rather when it still has some life to it.