New Member Area New to Nissan Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Hello from Seattle to all the older Sentra owners!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 10:00 PM
Default Hello from Seattle to all the older Sentra owners!

Hope the message finds you all well. I've been on this forum once before and was directed to the sticky regarding the front crank seal... brilliant. Anyway - I'm back again with a cooling system issue that's stumped me. First, a little about the Sentra I bought. It's a '93 GXE (GA16DE) and everything works. I paid a grand for it and it's got a 90,000 mile crate motor in it - runs like a dream. The tranny bearings went crunch and I replaced it with a 40,000 mile junk yard swap. Love this beater car, hoping this recent issue isn't something 'terminal'. Would really like to fix it myself to further bond with it... no one told me Sentras were this fun to drive.

On a super-hot day, the car died as i got off the highway. rolled to a gas station and felt the heat of the motor - way too hot. Let it cool, pulled off the radiator cap and tried adding some diluted 50/50 antifreeze - soon it was spilling out of the side (where all the belts are) of the motor. I thought it was the water pump (few people told me it would be), but I am second guessing... I can't actually get in a position to SEE where the water is coming out of, but I've narrowed it to behind the TOP pulley on the motor.

To me that pulley looks like it's the outside part of the internal timing chain, so that might be throwing me...

Any help you can offer would be awesome - when I priced the belts, water pump and stuff it was cheap, so money's not an issue - unless specific parts are the way to go as I've read a few times on this forum.

Thanks - Aaron B

Old 08-24-2009, 08:18 PM

I think its just over heated!did you bring it to professional mechanics?

Old 08-25-2009, 03:04 PM

Nah - trying to do the work on my own. It definitely overheated that day, but now it's leaking fluid anytime I add it to the radiator. Pour it in, and it comes pouring right out on the ground.