New Member Area New to Nissan Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Scored an '89 Sentra for $350!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 10:35 PM
Default Scored an '89 Sentra for $350!

So I just picked up my first Nissan today, and it... is.. a.. heap. Like I said, I got it for $350, but I'm not too worried about it since its my daily driver now. I've got a Miata that I want to save mileage on and reserve for weekend fun, so thats why I picked this up. That, and.. did I mention it was 350 bucks?

It's an 89, its gray (the deluxe gray, without all that silly clearcoat), 5-speed, and 2 door. I think the only option it has is AC, but it doesn't work. It's definitely got its fair share of rust, including a bit around the base of the front strut towers. Before winter, I plan to see about renting a welder, and utilizing my friend Brady's welding skills to patch those spots up, and maybe a few others. The passenger side rear window bracket thing is broken, so I need to replace that, or rig something up if it requires replacing the whole window piece. The shifter is a bit sloppy - well, sloppy isn't the right word, not sure what the right one is. You know that relative level of "notchiness" when in neutral, while moving the shifter from side to side? It doesn't have that so much. I would imagine it needs a new set of bushings or something like that. Speedo works, lights work, horn works, wipers work. Needs some downpipe patchwork, but it runs smoothly, and pulls strong, and shifts smoothly. Brady also has an 89 Sentra that we picked up from out of state back in February, but his is in VERY good condition. The only issue we could find with his is that it is adorn with scratches and a couple minor dings - no rust, runs perfectly. His is a red 4 door.

So I guess I only have a couple general questions, although I plan to spend some time reading on the forum. One is an oil problem - the previous owner said it was going through oil, but he couldn't clarify whether it was burning or leaking. I would assume its leaking, based on the generous amount of sludge on the front of the engine - it appears to be coming from the valve cover, and is leaking down towards the exhaust manifold (hoo-rah). Can't say if its burning it or not, since the only way I know how to identify that is to see it coming out of the tailpipe, and I was driving it. I suppose the next time someone is driving behind me, I'll ask them. The other question is the shifter, and I was wondering if anyone else had similar problems. Its pretty stiff moving from side to side - and if I move it from "center" to the left behind 1st, it doesn't seem to have to move hardly at all to be there, as if its self-centering off-center. Moving over to the right takes some muscle, but I can't remember whether Brady's is the same way. Anyone know if this is something that can be fixed with a bushing, or a lower shift boot, or something like that?

Thanks for the help, I'm sure I'll get to know most of you guys fairly well - in the meantime, I'll enjoy the plethora of traction with those 155mm steamroller tires...

Old 08-22-2006, 06:36 AM
Default RE: Scored an '89 Sentra for $350!

nice price for a nice ride. mine is a fixer upper aswell, i have an 88 nissan pulsar, wish i could help you with the shifter problem, mine is the exact opposite. my shifter is REALLY loose, and it diesnt go into gear very smoothly (easy to get into gear, but it seems to catch on something. especially reverse, that one i usually cant get into gear!) having the same oil problem though, exactly the same, and im not burning it. i think i way overpaid at $2400!!!