Nissan 240sx and Nissan 200sx These models offered an ealy introduction to the sport compact class, and are still popular today.

Engine work(need advice)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 10:29 PM
Default RE: Engine work(need advice)

I did not change the mains, did change the timing chain and guides have got the oil pan on today took about thirty minutes, four hours later I am still trying to line up the studs for the motor mounts, can get but one in the other won't line up, If I had someone to help me I most likley would have them in place in no time but just one old fart, having never working on one of these before it might take me into next week(stuck on one stud)I want to get the bottom together before starting on the head, one thing at the time. When I get finished with the engine I get to do the brakes, oh joy, and just think she (niece)is going to let me pay for the parts, Guess that is what uncles are for.. Phil

Old 07-21-2005, 06:28 PM

O.K. got the motor mounts in place. Now I have the head set on the engine with gasket in place head bolts down to finger tight, I am trying to put the timing chain on the camshaft, anybody know how to depress the chain tensner to allow slack in the chain to put the gear with the chain on the camshaft. Phil(bear)

Old 07-24-2005, 01:35 AM

News flash, I have the head torqued down, all hoses and vacuum lines on, everything together but the small section(passenger side) where the brake lines go down the firewall, got to put all that mess back in order, put a oil filter on it, top up the oil and see if it will start, jumping on it first thing in the morning, nine or tenish, being retired I don't use a alarm clock anymore. More to follow. Phil(bear)

Old 07-28-2005, 01:28 AM

i have a 93 240sx AND IS STOCK IM LOOKIN FOR SOME CHEAP MODIFICATION THAT I CAN DO TO MY CAR[8D]

Old 08-06-2005, 11:27 AM

I am also new , but from what I have seen of these cars there is no cheap things to put on them. I have finished the engine on this one and am trying to shore up all the little things that the P.O. ignored. No one tells the truth about the car they are selling, After getting it running I found the battrey bad along with the alternator(diodes), wiring harness broken so as to not get the 12V excition voltage(alternator light burned out) to the alternator(took eight hours to find the break in the wire), looks like the water pump is next on the list, the temp gage don't work along with the speed-o-meter, just a nightmare, I will get this car back to normal if it kills me.. One redeaming feature is that it goes like a bat out of hell now..just leaving a trail where it goes, and marks it's spot, if I didn't know better I would say that being around all my VW's has rubbed off on it. Phil

Old 08-07-2005, 05:25 PM

All finished, leaks fixed. The speed sensor on the transmission is bad, will take one of those to fix the spedo, the temp gage still don't work, checked temp sender on engine it's good, so either the gage is bad or the wiring, that is for another day. Spent today cleaning light sockets and getting all the lights to work, running lights, brake and turn signals, this thing gets socket corrosion like a VW. Niece is happy, car runs good, and only have a little over a $1000.00 invested in what looks like a very good car. Good enough for a 16 year old girl to drive to school. Phil

Old 08-08-2005, 04:01 AM

ORIGINAL: bearsvw

No one tells the truth about the car they are selling,
Aint that the truth!

Old 08-08-2005, 09:29 PM

I'll check back from time to time to see if anyone needs some mecanical help, I know enough to be dangerous now but at least I can keep you from having to do it twice, like I did to learn.. Phil (bear)

Old 09-09-2005, 01:27 PM

News flash, I am getting out of the Nissan busness, Had a small water leak and Niece didn't know what to do when the temp needle went to the peg, drove till it quit. So if she can't take care of the car I'm not rebuilding it all over again, blown head gasket again and warped the head, water in oil again. You can stick a fork in me, I'm done.. Phil (bear)

Old 09-09-2005, 09:57 PM

it's weird that people will know they need to check thier cars but drive them anyway.

Quick Reply: Engine work(need advice)