Nissan 300zx This coupe and convertible was very popular with performance car enthusiasts around the world, whether in the base model,or the high end Twin Turbo model.

93 300ZX Annoying Flashing Security Light

Old 11-01-2008, 12:12 PM
Default 93 300ZX Annoying Flashing Security Light

I have a '93 300zx convertible with an annoying security light. The car was rear-ended (and fixed) years ago and has never been the same ever since. After closing my trunk lid, if it doesn't close just right, the security light flashes on the dash. Keep in mind the trunk lid is closed securely. I've found that my battery will drain too if the light doesn't stop flashing.

Does anyone have a suggestion to stop the annoying flashing light? Note I've tried pulling the fuse, but unfortunately the fuse controls other aspects of the security system (like the ignition) too.

TIA for the help!

Old 11-01-2008, 06:07 PM
Default RE: 93 300ZX Annoying Flashing Security Light

I haven't gotten any answers and this seems to be a fairly common problem (at least by googling the www). So I set out to explore solutions on my own. To my surprise it was actually very simple. There's a relay located behind the trunk panel (you need to remove all of the felt panels to expose the trunk workings (lights, latch, etc). The relay is a small black plastic relay that clips on to the tail lamp socket that is the the right and below the trunk latch (looking from top). The relay can pop off the tail lamp by impact to the rear (mine was knocked off after being rear ended). Mind you my accident was only a scratch to the bumper so obviously not a very hard impact. The relay works in conjunction with the courtesy lamp for the trunk. The relay has a sensor that is depressed when it's clipped on the tail lamp socket (thus closing the circuit). The security light will go out when the trunk light goes out (or when the trunk is closed). You can test yours by pressing down on the trunk latch mechanism using a screw driver which will mimic the trunk being closed. The relay clips are plastic so they could break off too which would make it impossible to snap onto the tail lamp. In this case, you can tape it or try to purchase another relay.

By the way after taking off the panels and exposing the innerds of the trunk assembly and lights, the relay was noticeable immediately as it's the only thing that's plugged into a wiring harness and dangling. It took me about 5 minutes to figure out it was tied to the trunk lamp (in other words, simply pushing down on the relay sensor didn't make the security light go). This is when I located the sensor to the trunk light (located on the trunk latch btw).

This worked for me and I'm sure I probably saved $$ if I took it to a mechanic as they'll no doubtedly check the electrical system of the car too. Good luck Z enthusiasts!