Nissan 300zx This coupe and convertible was very popular with performance car enthusiasts around the world, whether in the base model,or the high end Twin Turbo model.

High Beams and Reverse Lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 11:16 PM
Default High Beams and Reverse Lights

Hey all. I recently bought an '85300zx non-turbo. I used to own a '85 turboalmost 2and a halfyears ago that I wrecked, loved the car so muchI bought another one. The car has some serious cosmetic problems interior and exterior, but with a rebuilt engine and transmission, and for 600 bucks I can't complain. Car runs great, so quiet you can actually hear the injectors working. Any rate it needs to pass a brake and lamp inspection (yes its a salvage), and the high beams and reverse lights do not work. I believe the high beams do not work as a result of a bad headlight switch. I'll find out for sure tomorrow. I don't really remember to well, but don't the high beams have a relay? The reverse lights do not light up either. It seems like there was a reverse light switch attached to the transmission, but I cant seem to find this part online. Whats odd, is that the socket for the reverse light blubshows 12V on both the ground and hot sides when the car is switched to on and it doesn't matter which gear it is in. I figure this means its been rewired poorly or there is a short. Now the switch is placed on the ground side correct? Are the reverse lights routed thru the lamp tester thing?

Old 07-28-2007, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: High Beams and Reverse Lights

well i think you figured it out for yourself. the reverse light switch all it does is complete the circuit when its put into reverse and it sends power to the rev. lights. i would check the rev. switch with an ohm meter and make sure its working properly, it should show nothing when its out of reverse as if you had an open wire, and it should show a little bit of resistance when put into reverse. if its working fine and it has new rev. bulbs then iwould check your grounds and check to see if you have a short somewhere. im not sure if your high beams have a relay but i can check on alldata on monday and let you know but to me i would have to say the light switch is probably bad. good luck

Old 07-29-2007, 12:22 PM

I got underneath the car yesterday, and found one of the wires completely ripped from the switch. I didn't notice at first, because Iremembered itwith only asingle wire coming from it.I guess it has two. I didn't get to the high beams yetbut my money isdefinitely on the light switch. I know these switches are often bad, but I have heard that the 88's and 89's hadthe same switch but the contactswere coated with nickel to increase the life of the switch. Is this true and will they fit into an 85?

Old 07-30-2007, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

i dont know i havent seen or messed with those 300z in a long time