Nissan 300zx This coupe and convertible was very popular with performance car enthusiasts around the world, whether in the base model,or the high end Twin Turbo model.

horsepower from front mount intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 08:35 PM
Default horsepower from front mount intercooler

300zx twin turbo,afcll,stage 3 chip,single flow airfilter,dynod at 316hp,factory turbos,wondering if front mount intercooler will increase my hp or not,i know it will prevent the lost after the engine is hot or driven for a while,can anyone give me an educated guess on what i may be able to expect

Old 08-22-2007, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: horsepower from front mount intercooler

only thing the front mount is going to do is reduce your chances of detonating cause if the better cooling efficiancy and also you might get a little bit of lag. if i were you i would just get the bigger stillen side mount intercoolers but the front mount would look sexier lol. but dont expect any hp gains. just do what i did and get the ebay front mount for $100 bucks or so and make or buy your own ic piping and front mount brakets. heres a pic of my ebay front mount with custom made and welded brackets.
Name:  DSCF0302.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  91.9 KB
Name:  DSCF0322.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  64.2 KB

Old 08-28-2007, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

I disagree with your here bro ..... you will notice hp gains because of the lower intake temps and effiecency.... you will not really lag from a bigger intercooler but it will take away your part throttle boost. ( which is really a good thing as far as turbo life goes) I do not reccomend an ebay intercooler unless you are into nothing but looks.... the pressuredrop is very noticable and the end tanks are made poorly.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:05 AM

what do you recommend at the best price,and i guess i wi have to get it retuned again huh

Old 09-22-2007, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Burnnout

I disagree with your here bro ..... you will notice hp gains because of the lower intake temps and effiecency.... you will not really lag from a bigger intercooler but it will take away your part throttle boost. ( which is really a good thing as far as turbo life goes) I do not reccomend an ebay intercooler unless you are into nothing but looks.... the pressuredrop is very noticable and the end tanks are made poorly.
sorry burnout but my intercooler is a bar and plate style is good for 700hp and it doesnt have barely any preasure dropits a xs engineering core and the shop i bought mine from on ebayjust weld on the end tanks and sell them for what there really worth and not have to pay $500-$900 for an name brand intercooler that does the same exact thing. also yea you will gain hp if you actually add more boost and timing to your engine then you will see some hp gains since its now safer to increase the boostbut if you just slap it on with the stock tune/boost then your not going to gain anything much if you dont use it to your advantage. i would of not bought my intercoolerfor my rb26 if it was as bad as you made it sound then i would of not bought it. but do whatever you want man. on a customers sr20det swapped240sxwe got rid of the oem sidemount IC and installed a fmic and it didnt gain barely anything with the stock tune/boost and he just got a bit more lag since you have alot more space to fill before it gets to your throttle body.