Nissan Altima This mid sized entry is been among the leaders in its class thanks to its powerful engine and roomy interior.

05, paint and other problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Default 05, paint and other problems

I have an 05 3.5SE, color is Midnight Blue. The hood and front fenders have these white dots all over...like the paint is chipping, but it's not chipping...more like fading in circles. Is anyone else noticing this problem? While a passenger driving on a highway, I noticed the same vehicle having the same problems, but obviously couldn't/wouldn't try to get the driver's attention.

Next, about 9 months after I purchased the car, I started to notice a jingling sound (from a wheel?) ....could not find where it was coming from, but noticed it only when I hit a bump, but not all the time. I took the car to the selling dealership (Fitchburg, MA...never will buy there again!) 3 times, but they could never find the problem. I even let them put over 100 miles on it, but still, they could not find the problem. Even though I am now over the warranty, the dealership will let me continue to bring the car in if I hear the jingle again (big of them!), but at this point I have given up. But then I started to hear a whining sound (thought it was a motorcycle behind me, but it wasn't - it was my car). Timing chain, guides. Got a quote of $2600 from the dealer...this time, they still cannot find the jingling problem. Refusing to pay this dealership any more money (since they still couldn't find the jingle sound problem), I took the car to the mechanic my husband uses). He did the job for less than $1800, took over 16 hours....but it was worth it. The whining sound is gone...oh, and the jingling sound...that's gone too, which makes me think that there was a problem with the timing chain/guides soon after I purchased the car.

I had the 95 Maxima for 12 years. Bought it when my son was 5 years old....12 years later...he was driving it....best car I've ever owned. That's why I went back to Nissan. Didn't want to spend over $30,000 for a car, so I bought the Altima. Never again, although I've heard great things about that Murano.